betta pregnant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BBouchard

Aquarium Advice Activist
Okay I believe my crowntail is pregnant. What do I need to dov since this is my first betta pregnany. Please help

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130706_224217.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130706_224217.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 62
  • ForumRunner_20130706_224229.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130706_224229.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 61
  • ForumRunner_20130706_224258.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130706_224258.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 65
Okay I believe my crowntail is pregnant. What do I need to dov since this is my first betta pregnany. Please help

So the good news is that she is not "pregnant" because Bettas are egg layers and in order for her to be Pregnant, there has to be a living fetus in there. What she is is full of eggs and there is nothing you need to do about it or for it. Egg laying fish just develope the eggs when they are sexually mature. That doesn't mean you have to breed her. She can go an entire lifetime without breeding with no ill effects.
Breeding Bettas can be a very strenuous task and the breeders don't always come out the other side looking anything like they did going in. If you are not prepared to lose your fish, I strongly suggest not thinking about breeding her.
What you do want to make sure of is that she is not bloated. It almost looks like that's the case here or she ate a very large meal. Make sure you see her having eliminations or you will need to look into bloat issues.

Hope this eases your mind (y)

Thanks, I have the make separated. He is not making a bubble nest, do I am hoping she will be okay. Are get strips going the right way fir get to want to breed?

Thanks, I have the make separated. He is not making a bubble nest, do I am hoping she will be okay. Are get strips going the right way fir get to want to breed?

If he isn't making a nest, he most likely is not ready to breed. She is not showing breeding stripes so she isn;t ready to breed either. You can see what breeding stripes look like in my albums section in my profile. There is a pic of a female in full breeding stripes in the breeding album. (y)

Okay so they can go back in together?

No. The only time a male and female Betta should be in the same tank is when they are breeding. More often than not, males will kill off females if they are not breeding with them.
It's a bit more complicated as to the why this happens. I suggest you do some research on these fish so you know how to keep them correctly. Bettas are some of the few fish that are better kept alone than with mates. There is a reason why their common english name is the Siamese Fighting fish. :brows:

Enjoy them, just separately (y)

Here's a brief article on Bettas with some links to more info.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/siamese-fighting-fish-betta-splenden/

No. The only time a male and female Betta should be in the same tank is when they are breeding. More often than not, males will kill off females if they are not breeding with them.
It's a bit more complicated as to the why this happens. I suggest you do some research on these fish so you know how to keep them correctly. Bettas are some of the few fish that are better kept alone than with mates. There is a reason why their common english name is the Siamese Fighting fish. :brows:

Enjoy them, just separately (y)

Here's a brief article on Bettas with some links to more info.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/siamese-fighting-fish-betta-splenden/

+1
Male and female bettas should not be kept together. In general, unless you are setting up a tank of multiple females or breeding a properly conditioned pair you should never have more than one betta to a tank. Even groups of females should be kept with caution - the tank should be large enough for a group of 5 or more females to each establish a territory. I wouldn't reccomend trying that in anything under a 20 gallon. Betta breeding is made a bit more complicated than breeding most other fish due to the fact that the pair can and will kill each other if things aren't perfect.

Back
Top Bottom