Betta spawn Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Harry Vysekal

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well I had managed to spawn bettas for my first time without a problem, but yesterday at my 2nd spawn attempt [my pair was conditioned for nearly 3 weeks] my male build a large bubble nest and my female is bulked up so I released her from the divider, my male started to pick on her badly which I guess is normal as he was trying to lure her under his bubble nest for whole day but she wouldn't go, from all sudden she started releasing eggs on her own [male didn't wrap around her at all] and the male was following her [he was after eggs] but he keep on eating them instead of putting them into his nest but the female is still full of eggs, today I decided to separate them again with divider as she was bitten badly,my question is I have another betta pair should I swap my males and see if he try to spawn and if he uses bubble nest from the other male or give up let them rest and try again later?

Well I had managed to spawn bettas for my first time without a problem, but yesterday at my 2nd spawn attempt [my pair was conditioned for nearly 3 weeks] my male build a large bubble nest and my female is bulked up so I released her from the divider, my male started to pick on her badly which I guess is normal as he was trying to lure her under his bubble nest for whole day but she wouldn't go, from all sudden she started releasing eggs on her own [male didn't wrap around her at all] and the male was following her [he was after eggs] but he keep on eating them instead of putting them into his nest but the female is still full of eggs, today I decided to separate them again with divider as she was bitten badly,my question is I have another betta pair should I swap my males and see if he try to spawn and if he uses bubble nest from the other male or give up let them rest and try again later?

It sounds like these were new breeders and not sure what to do. I have had 1st time breeder females release their eggs when they were behind the glass partition so that is not THAT unusual however, the male just eating the eggs doesn't bode well for him as a breeder.
Since males don't usually use another male's nest, I would separate the pair and let the female rest, regain her strength and produce more eggs. Try her again in a week or so (As long as she looks and acts okay) with another male. Let him produce his own nest.
What usually happens when breeding Bettas is that there is going to be some fin nipping and the female is going to look beaten but this is normal. HOWEVER, when the male takes "Body Shots" and attacks her body, this is no longer breeding behavior and the fish should be separated. Make sure you have places in your spawning tank for the female to get away from the male until he gets out of fighting mode and into breeding mode. I use 3/4" PVC connectors and PVC pipe cut into 2"-4" pieces for this. I usually have about 3 or 4 pieces in the tank for her. I've watched and rarely see a male go through a pipe to chase a female but I have seen the females run from one pipe to another when being chased leaving the male with a " Where did she go? " look on his face. :confused: Sometimes that triggers him to calm down and spawning follows not too long after.

Hope this all helps...(y)

I thought that so when I get home I will throw female into my community tank and let her rest for week or so and give it a try with the other male

I thought that so when I get home I will throw female into my community tank and let her rest for week or so and give it a try with the other male

If your female is badly beaten, I'd put her in a separate tank by herself and not a community tank where she can be attacked even further. A lot of times females will come down with infections from the breeding wounds so you'll want to keep an eye out for that and have antibacterial/ antifungal medications ready just in case. ;)

Back
Top Bottom