Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-24-2006, 09:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to Hovoc
Betta Stock

I have 2 males and a beautiful female. I want to try breeding them but I am concerned with the ease of getting rid of the off spring. My main reason for wanting to breed is because I am hoping for a male colored like the female.

So how hard will it be to rid my self of the remaining off spring?

Old 05-24-2006, 09:54 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

You should probably ask first at some lfs stores near you - not the chain stores - if they will take the juveniles, before you get started with breeding.

Moved to the Breeding forum.

An t-iasg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 10:08 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Very few LFS here, one which I seriously doubt would want my bettas, and the second, I wouldnt trust with my bettas :P
Old 05-24-2006, 10:29 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to Daryth Darkmoon Send a message via MSN to Daryth Darkmoon Send a message via Yahoo to Daryth Darkmoon
I don't know if it is something you want to mess with, but you could also consider selling them online.
Old 05-25-2006, 12:13 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

I thought about posting them on local forums, as well as in our local paper, online is a different beast altogether, a 3-5$ fish then becomes a $10-15 fish due to shipping :P
Old 05-25-2006, 09:54 AM   #6

It's really not that hard to get rid of the offspring must mom and pop stores will tke them. I know the ones in my area take mine all the time. It's the growout tanks that you'll need to get them to the size most stores want before you sell them. A asking price of $3 to $5 for the common vail tail is high. I sell mine for $2 bucks males and $1 for the females.
If you get a fry of 150 to 200 whitch is quit easy for a betta to do. Your going to need a couple of 20g or a 55g to grow them out. As with most betta you buy from the store trying to pick your color of the fry is super hard. Do the fact that no store knows the ture color of the bettas parents. You could line bred up to the color you want. But that could take up to 3 or 4 frys to get.
I'm trying to get a black vail tail. I've started with a 1/2 black female and a 1/2 black male. I got from a fry. I've breed them togeather and got a 3/4 black and blue male and a almost all black female. They have been bred togeather and now. I'm waitting on there fry to come of age where I can see how many black male and females shows up out of it.
I'll then take and bred the best blacks from that fry and do the same with the fry after that. Antil I get a full black male vail tail. But that could still be 5 or 6 frys down the road. If your wanting to get a peacific color you'd be better off ordering a sibling pr from a breeder. This way you will know the color of the parents and what colors you could look for from there fry.
Old 05-25-2006, 03:33 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

With the ease of which they die you'll probably have less to worry about than you think. Are you prepared to house a lot of baby fish until they get colour? It might be a while before you find one that you want to keep.
Old 05-25-2006, 07:39 PM   #8

At least 3 to 5 months.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:29 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel F.
At least 3 to 5 months.
expected as much

how well do sibling males get along?
Old 05-25-2006, 11:58 PM   #10

I figured I'd Better let you know . I'm not trying to turn you off. On breeding Betta's by no means. I thank it's best to ask the questions before hand. That way you kinda know what to look forward to. It's not that there's lots and lots of stuff to know about breeding the vail tail betta's. It's always better to ask before hand then to ask after there here and looking for food.
To me Betta are cheaper to spawn and breed for 4 reason.
1. they're cheap fish. That's not a bad thing at all. It's a great thing. To still beable to get one of if not the frist fish in the hobbie or avalable the frist fist in the hobbie and the reason we all today are in this hobbie.
2. They're a really easy or wait a fairly simple fish to spawn. { DEPENDING ON THE SPICES AS IT DOES WITH MOST ANY FISH ] It's mainly the male that choses the where and when it's spawning time.
3. Not just are they nice to bred and a great learning lesson for kids on the breeding cycle of a spices. But the lesson of life or the base of how life cycles happen.
4. Now to me this is the greatest part of the breding cycle or stages of breding betta's. A single breeding Tank can go throw all the differnt stages needed for breding Betta's.

The tank can start out bare bottomed for starting the spawning by adding the male then the female. Then dearing the stage of spawning, Just add a divider or dividers depending on the # of males to spawn. Then once they've breed. Take and remove the female and let the male do his thing and take care of the fry. then around 4to 5 days later { I always pull the males on day 5 cause by then he's really tried} Not only that the egg sack is gone and live baby brine shrimp can be added 3 times a day .
So a single 10g BB tank has went from holding tank for the males to grow out tank for the betta frys. By doing it this way you can divided the tank into 3 tanks and the frys can grow out togeather making them. Less likly to fight and will produce some nice fry prs. For future spawning slibing partners. Good luck and if need ny more help please feel free to PM me and ask. I don't mind helping at all.

Tags
betta, stock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com