Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-21-2018, 04:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Betta Warning

Just a warning to all betta owners out there, I know bettas have a warning that they may jump but you've never seen it or if you have it's very rare. Because of this you think you may not need a lid for it's tank, however let me assure you, you need one. I have a 5g tank that has a glass lid and it's a narrow space in between the tank and lid, well my betta managed to jump through it and ended up dead. So just a general warning to people that bettas do indeed jump even if it's rare, don't want more fish to die then necessary! [ATTACH]307299
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180221_154427727_HDR.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	307299  

Old 02-21-2018, 06:03 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sorry for your loss. It's surprising how good bettas are at jumping. A couple of weeks ago I was at a fish store just looking around and seen something move next to me. When I looked and betta had jumped clean out of his tank and landed on the counter next to me. He was lucky I was there because all the staff were upstairs. Not as though they shown much interest when I told them what happened.

Old 02-22-2018, 08:35 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveAquariums View Post
Just a warning to all betta owners out there, I know bettas have a warning that they may jump but you've never seen it or if you have it's very rare. Because of this you think you may not need a lid for it's tank, however let me assure you, you need one. I have a 5g tank that has a glass lid and it's a narrow space in between the tank and lid, well my betta managed to jump through it and ended up dead. So just a general warning to people that bettas do indeed jump even if it's rare, don't want more fish to die then necessary! [ATTACH]307299
Here's more proof that their jumping is calculated not just accidental. Watch this:
Old 02-27-2018, 10:10 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I am so sorry about your betta. But that video was really cool!
Old 02-27-2018, 12:34 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes! They do jump... Some better than others. And you can teach them how to jump with treats. Betta's are a one of a kind fish. My little female has jumped and stuck to the side of the tank before where at the top of tank there was no water, freaked me right out. Then she jumps right back in the water when she wants to. It's very weird. That was when she was younger, and I had lowered the water level. She hasn't done that now that she's bigger thow. It's funny with these fish you gotta baby proof the tanks sometimes.

Tags
betta

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com