Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-04-2010, 07:58 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Smile Bettas at it again! Suggestions?

I have taken the summer off from breeding bettas but now that I'm settled in university I am starting again!

I only have one juvie left from my first spawn - she is about 4 months old and just started to show her egg spot the other day. her balance isn't great - I noticed a lot of my fry get swim bladder problems so I am refraining from feeding brine shrimp until they are a little older.

Slowly I am getting better at this. I have 6 fry that are about 6 weeks old and a couple of them look in great condition, the others are small and their tails look a little clamped. I am wondering if these are just going to end up being veil tails or if there is something wrong with them. I do very frequent water changes - every day or second day when they are brand new I do a 50% change, for a couple weeks. Then I add more water and do it every 3 or 4 days.

For my most recent spawn, I have started using Prime water conditioner (as I am in a city now I have more products available to me!) and a ten gallon instead of a five. I put a clump of java moss in there a few days beforehand and an almond leaf. The water is a nice green tea colour. The halfmoon pair I have on hand bred readily this time (I have been feeding them Atison betta Pro all summer and they have really responded well to it) I added some Jungle fungus eliminator as well. They laid a ton of eggs this morning and this is my male's best nest ever - it might have to do with either experience or the different water in a different town.

I plan to switch from snails to ottos or corys as a clean up crew. The snails polluted the water very quickly, although they do their job well. Thoughts or suggestions?

I am hoping the java moss will be sufficient to supply the tank with infusoria.

Tags
betta, bettas, suggestions

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com