Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-06-2013, 06:50 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Big Enough?

My molly had 5 fry about three months ago. She also just had six more about a week ago. My 5 older fry are all female. They are about one centimeter long now. They are currently in a breeding tank. I was wondering if I could let them in the actual tank. It's a 10 gallon tank. I have a male gourami, (don't know how to spell it) a male black molly, 2 neon tetras, 2 Cory Catfish, and 2 African dwarf frogs.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:36 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrogs View Post
My molly had 5 fry about three months ago. She also just had six more about a week ago. My 5 older fry are all female. They are about one centimeter long now. They are currently in a breeding tank. I was wondering if I could let them in the actual tank. It's a 10 gallon tank. I have a male gourami, (don't know how to spell it) a male black molly, 2 neon tetras, 2 Cory Catfish, and 2 African dwarf frogs.
The general rule is, if the fry are bigger than the other fish's mouths, then you'll be ok...

Old 02-06-2013, 09:52 PM   #3

As soon as they don't fit in the mouth of the bigger fish. They can still be pestered for being small, so a few hiding places would be good.

You might want to consider upgrading to a bigger tank. It's getting crowded; the general rule is 1 gallon for each inch of fish. But all fish are different and some need more space than others (and thus the general rule is only general).

I attached some photos of my molly fry. They are 2 months old and I just released them into the 75gal. They are about 1/4in.

Best of luck! Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-905502266.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	150373   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-296397731.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	150374  

Old 02-07-2013, 09:21 PM   #4

Thanks for the help, and I plan on giving some of the fish to the pet store or friends. I only want to keep 4 or 5.

Tags
big

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com