Black Kuhli/Java Loach Fry!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

johnysgal

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So... I haven't been able to get on here the past few days. And I really shouldn't be on here right now, I've got lots more I should be doing... but my hubby made an exciting discovery... We've got at least 1 Black Kuhli Loach Fry. Is fry the right term?

We had no idea we had any fish who were egg layers and able to be bred, and I'm not even sure Black Kuhli's lay eggs? Anywho he's been doing his regular thorough gravel vacuuming... but apparently one little egg survived. At first he thought it was one of our guppy fries, but then he looked closer, and it is most definitely a loach.:eek:

I tried to read up on them online, breeding etc... and found nothing. Only one record of one person accidentally having it happen. We've no idea how it happened or what exactly to do to help more survive should they breed again...:blink:

AND as I was typing this, we found another one. So we have at least 2, but it looks like there might be more on the way...:dance:

Pictures are forthcoming!

So here are the pics that my wife said are forthcoming. They are not the best and these are the only ones I have been able to get so far...but I only saw them for the first time about an hour and a half ago. Note the 6 week old guppy fry in the first two pics. Should give a bit of a reference for size.

Attachments

• 100_2266.jpg
    100_2266.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 801
  • 100_2267.jpg
    100_2267.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 268
  • 100_2268.jpg
    100_2268.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 262
  • 100_2270.jpg
    100_2270.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 218
Johny said:
So here are the pics that my wife said are forthcoming. They are not the best and these are the only ones I have been able to get so far...but I only saw them for the first time about an hour and a half ago. Note the 6 week old guppy fry in the first two pics. Should give a bit of a reference for size.

Oh my goodness! That's so exciting :D

Thank you both, we are super excited! The hardest part is not knowing what to do for them. My wife did a bit of research last night, and there is next to no information on their young... apparently its not very common for them to breed in captivity.

We also have no clue how many. My wife is pretty sure that she has seen two, maybe three. The first I saw was pretty *blonde, but the pictures I got had normal coloring... so who knows.

I really hope they live for you and give you More little ones so you can say ah ha! I have beaten all odds. Sorry suckers!!! Lol or just be plain ol happy. You might be able to get some money for em...

That is so cool, congrats! I'm hoping to see fry from my kuhli's soon. I've done a lot of research and, from what I understand, it isn't actually uncommon for kuhli's to breed in captivity. It is less likely that they will reproduce in a community setting however, or if kept in groups too small (less than 5).

As far as care for young fry, if they were to breed again, which they likely will, would be much the same as most other fry. Baby brine shrimp, infusoria, microworms, and commercial fry foods are all fine for them.

In general kuhli's need well oxygenated water. I run a bubble wand and a filter with a strong flow for them. They also need a smooth substrate. The type of gravel you have is really not good for them. They can have a hard time burrowing in, and get damaged on sharp edges. Sand or smooth stones are highly recommended.

Wow, that is awesome! I have kuhlis and I LOVE them. From what I understand, many of the kuhli breedings that happen in home aquaria are not planned (well, at least not planned by the aquarium owner). I have heard of many kuhlis breeding in under gravel filter plates. I have also heard that they will lay eggs on floating plants. Those fry are undeniably cute! Good luck!

From what I understand, many of the kuhli breedings that happen in home aquaria are not planned (well, at least not planned by the aquarium owner). I have heard of many kuhlis breeding in under gravel filter plates.

Certainly not planned by us. We had heard that they never breed in home aquariums, so we never even considered it a possibility. We started with two, found out they like more company than that and bought three more. There is one good sized rock in our aquarium they all like to snuggle under. I am wondering if that became the "love nest" or something.

What do you mean they breed in UGF plates? We run a UGF, and wondered if we don't have more because the UGF pulled the eggs through the gravel?

What do you mean they breed in UGF plates? We run a UGF, and wondered if we don't have more because the UGF pulled the eggs through the gravel?
I guess I meant to say UNDER the plates, not IN them. Oops.
Since kuhlis love to burrow, I have heard that they will burrow down into the substrate and hang out under the UGF plate. Owners don't see the kuhlis for a while and assume that the loaches died. Then, when they have to clean or move the tank or do something that requires them to lift the UGF plate, they will be surprised to see MORE kuhlis than they had purchased hanging out down there.

That actually wouldn't surprise me too much. They do like to burrow. They have up rooted all my plants at one time or another.

Yeah, Mine have wound up in some pretty ridiculous places. Every time I pick up a decoration to clean under it, a kuhli comes rocketing out.

Back
Top Bottom