Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-16-2019, 05:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Black molly fry

So one of my black mollys had babies lastnight , i was expecting it but theres one problem .. nobody was interested in eating them .. theres now 9 little fry in my breeder box simply so they dont grow big enough to live in the tank . My tank is stocked pretty much to my liking and i didnt need to have a bunch more fish somehow survive . My plan is to raise them in the box for a while till i can maybe sex them , pick out 2 healthy females and then feed the rest to my goldfish . Not optimal but nothing else in this tank will eat them , ive tried getting the angels to but there too small i think to fit it in there mouths and they just torture them . So how long till sexes start showing ?

Old 03-17-2019, 01:14 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Your Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.fresh View Post
So one of my black mollys had babies lastnight , i was expecting it but theres one problem .. nobody was interested in eating them .. theres now 9 little fry in my breeder box simply so they dont grow big enough to live in the tank . My tank is stocked pretty much to my liking and i didnt need to have a bunch more fish somehow survive . My plan is to raise them in the box for a while till i can maybe sex them , pick out 2 healthy females and then feed the rest to my goldfish . Not optimal but nothing else in this tank will eat them , ive tried getting the angels to but there too small i think to fit it in there mouths and they just torture them . So how long till sexes start showing ?
Hello Mr.

Well fed fish aren't likely to pay attention to the fry. This isn't an optimum means of getting rid of the fry problem, but by simply reducing the amount you feed the adults, the fry may be added to the adult fishes' menu.

B

Old 03-17-2019, 02:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBradbury View Post
Hello Mr.

Well fed fish aren't likely to pay attention to the fry. This isn't an optimum means of getting rid of the fry problem, but by simply reducing the amount you feed the adults, the fry may be added to the adult fishes' menu.

B
Well i was thinking that , and the mother fish is big eat them for sure , the problem is i dont want a bunch of them surviving , i would like to keep one or two to add to the tank , whats the best way to introduce them as food ? Making sure they dont make it to the hiding places and end up surviving?
Old 03-17-2019, 05:22 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

I would just euthanize the baby fish.
Old 03-17-2019, 06:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendy fm View Post
I would just euthanize the baby fish.
Why do that when i can use them as a live food source ?

Tags
black, black molly, fry, molly

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com