Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-02-2016, 03:34 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Black Neon breeding?

Anyone has any kind of experience with them?? I never have any experience nor looking into it in the internet. So I decided to ask you guys here about this first, while surfing the net for this matter.

Since it is neon but with different color, I guess they have the same rules, etc as blue & red (regular) neon right??

Old 03-02-2016, 07:29 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

All I know is that the tetras drop their eggs and then the eggs get fertilized, so they aren't live bearers. Black neons and regular neons are different species but breeding should be similar. Black and whatever other "neons" there are aren't just different color forms, they're different species.

(GBR pair, 3 amano shrimp and a whole bunch of snails!)
Nils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 07:41 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nils View Post
All I know is that the tetras drop their eggs and then the eggs get fertilized, so they aren't live bearers. Black neons and regular neons are different species but breeding should be similar. Black and whatever other "neons" there are aren't just different color forms, they're different species.
Ah... So they're different species. I thought they're the same species with different color variety lol xD.
Old 03-02-2016, 07:17 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Egg scatters. Just like the rest
Old 03-02-2016, 08:57 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yeah 2 complete different species, However one of the most challenging fish to breed! Tetras in general are not that easy, barbs and danios are much easier.
Old 03-02-2016, 11:41 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical Aquarist View Post
Yeah 2 complete different species, However one of the most challenging fish to breed! Tetras in general are not that easy, barbs and danios are much easier.
Yea danios are easy. I've done them once. But I'm not sure about black neons, have you tried breeding them before??

Sent from my vivo Y28 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 03-03-2016, 08:32 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Nope, but from what I read it's incredibly difficult.
Old 03-03-2016, 11:39 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

From Wiki :
"Black neon tetras can be spawned rather easily if the water quality is right. Before attempting to breed the black neon tetra, condition the prospective parents with good food. Fish of about one year old are suitable for breeding. The sex of the fish can be determined by its body shape, the female being much deeper in the body than the male.

Although the black neon tetra can be kept in water harder and more alkaline than its natural habitat, for breeding it is necessary to get closer to what it would get in the Amazon. Breeding the black neon tetra requires acidic water with no more than four degrees of hardness. Use dim lighting.

The black neon tetra is an egg scatterer, laying adhesive (sticky) eggs over plants, etc. One female can produce several hundred eggs. The parents will eat their own eggs and babies, so it is normal to remove the parents after spawning. As with many fish, The black neon tetra often spawns in the early morning. Raising the fry can be more difficult because of their small size. The first food will normally be protozoa (infusoria). Very fine fry food can be used, graduating to slightly coarse fry food. At all ages, the black neon tetra benefits from suitably sized live food."

You need to condition breeding fish with live food ahead of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Coursair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 01:49 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

I can say something to neon, P. innesi.
Breed approach in the pelvis, about 30 liters. It is good when several approaches are. The bottom of the glass should be painted with black lacquer exterior. Inside should be a suitable spawning grate. I've made Glastreifen with silicone adhesive as a fitting platform and on a plastic sieve cloth mesh size approximately 1 to 1.5 mm. In the middle of a clean spawning should be plant. The water is soft (dgH6 į) and be slightly peaty. Whether the females are spawning ripe can be viewed. They chase each other.
It is good if 2 to 3 are male.
If they are desinterested and standing together, then the spawning is complete. The females are now slim.
Now the parents have to be removed. The spawning grate well.
After some time, the grains must be controlled. Glassy grains are fertilized. Unfertilised are white. These must be removed (pipette). It arises as a ray fungus that infects the good grains. The black color under the glass floor you can see it well.
When this is done by, the basin should be darkened slightly. The eggs develop. there are Larfen. then hanging around on the discs.
They have a yolk sac, which reaches about 10 hours. Then powdered food from pond must be there. The Larfen peel away and swim across the pool. It must be fed carefully. (Finely sieved). Not too much.
After a week Artemia can be fed..
Old 03-11-2016, 11:37 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur75 View Post
I can say something to neon, P. innesi.
Breed approach in the pelvis, about 30 liters. It is good when several approaches are. The bottom of the glass should be painted with black lacquer exterior. Inside should be a suitable spawning grate. I've made Glastreifen with silicone adhesive as a fitting platform and on a plastic sieve cloth mesh size approximately 1 to 1.5 mm. In the middle of a clean spawning should be plant. The water is soft (dgH6 į) and be slightly peaty. Whether the females are spawning ripe can be viewed. They chase each other.
It is good if 2 to 3 are male.
If they are desinterested and standing together, then the spawning is complete. The females are now slim.
Now the parents have to be removed. The spawning grate well.
After some time, the grains must be controlled. Glassy grains are fertilized. Unfertilised are white. These must be removed (pipette). It arises as a ray fungus that infects the good grains. The black color under the glass floor you can see it well.
When this is done by, the basin should be darkened slightly. The eggs develop. there are Larfen. then hanging around on the discs.
They have a yolk sac, which reaches about 10 hours. Then powdered food from pond must be there. The Larfen peel away and swim across the pool. It must be fed carefully. (Finely sieved). Not too much.
After a week Artemia can be fed..
Can I use a medicine instead to prevent the fungus from growing on the dead eggs? Because it's going to probably kind of hard to find the dead eggs... As for the substrate, should I use the black gravel? Cover the tank with something so that the tank will have almost no light. Cover the water surface entirely with mini water lettuce and put a light on top of the tank to light the lettuce??

Tags
black, breed, breeding, neon

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com