Black rams !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well folks , I went and seen the Black Rams in person today. FN AWESOME FISH! I attached a pic of one i took while there. Congrats on this Score Tom!
qV19JtO.jpg

I got text .Thanks man.
I see the pic on other computer.. It is a great shot !
This one must be old like me !

Well folks , I went and seen the Black Rams in person today. FN AWESOME FISH! I attached a pic of one i took while there. Congrats on this Score Tom!
qV19JtO.jpg
He was out trying to tell us both something !
gOyU9vXl.jpg

D58mvedl.jpg

Another good sized set of eggs ! He and his mate were who I expected to get eggs from yesterday .. Definitely better late then never ! :dance:

How are the babies doing?

Container 1 of fry is doing good ! 2 weeks old today which is next hurdle after hatching ..(y)
PVvFyJRl.jpg

5ByEPowl.jpg

Container 2 had pretty small fry so maybe 10 still swimming.
Container 3 looks like 2 but with 100 + still ?
Container 4 looks to have been largest spawn and best hatch ! Possibly with wigglers big enough to have a higher survival rate.. This container 4, They should become free swimmers today or tomorrow.
vl5IRdtl.jpg

Got these yesterday, right in the middle of tank.. Left corner is next...
fX8kM9Fl.jpg

bVIW15Il.jpg

Here's how they look today...If you look close you can see eyes in almost every egg! I'll load this picture single after this post larger..
BC76Si6l.jpg

All 9 in the 33 are still hanging in and still tight.
The 4 dark in their own 2o are down to 3...Not going to mix these guys until I know there is not a possible pair among them.

Wow they are growing great! I still can't believe how fast they are spawning for you!
I am happy with growth of the first container.. Live BBS 2-3 times a day. They will even eat frozen BBS so their desire to eat is good .
I have a 'leg up' on these fish ..I have been breeding the GBR for years so I just put them right into my breeding type set up. There are more trays in the 33 then pairs and they are spread out and separated to create territories .
These guys are still pretty tight especially at feeding time where it seems the whole tank is still no mans land.. But it really only takes one to get all the others fired up.. Once paired I will keep them next to each other so they can see each other if they want and strut their stuff. I block the bottom half of breeding tanks so they have privacy but still have to see each other when it is time to eat .
Maybe the blacks will chill out once I get them separated ?

They looked alright although not as dark as yours. They were pretty new tho so maybe stressed from shipping. I'd love to get a pair but the only mature tank I have houses a dwarf gourami so not really suitable. It's times like this I wish my main tank wasn't fully stocked.

They're £16 each or 2 for £28 which I thought was fairly reasonable

I think that converts to aprox.$22 ?
I paid $24 so that is fair price IMO.
Some are darker then others..
Still not sure if color is sex related. The 3 darkest in their own tank have not showed any differentiating behavior or pairing activity? I am guessing they are male due to their boisterous behavior ,but I have seen some tough girls with my GBR in the past...:confused:

OK time to put order to this.
The fish have 'settled in' and I am on board.
4 dip and pours with fry in 2 and wigglers /free swimmers in 2 .
Not sure if everyone gets what I mean by 'tight' but it means these fish are territorial kamikazes ! I tagged one or maybe 2 of them 2X yesterday with pipe during water change and sucked a female right through. She was DOA when she hit the bucket. I knew this would eventually happen but just could not keep them under control during water change .I keep my finger at the hose outlet so I can stop flow instantly but she was that much quicker ..:facepalm: I could not find any other injuries in besides odd man out. You would think they would appreciate a little clean water !:nono:
I noticed the 'odd man out' has a slightly bulging eye and wonder if I got him or if he has been bullied . It is easy to see he is odd man out and being bullied so I pulled him to his own 5g and added the extra female GBR from Danzinger to him. He is active and eating so I hope he will be ok. Interested in seeing if any possible fry could be black from these two as this combo has to be the origin of it all ?
So now there are 7 in the 33 long and I am hoping /thinking they are all paired and looking for the next odd man out ?.
They have claimed left ,center and right of the tank so all is in line now ? One hides or moves so evasively I am not sure which one it is yet ? :popcorn:

Back
Top Bottom