Black rams !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coralbandit

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I took a short 3 hour [one way] drive to New jersey today.I didn't really plan it but a buddy emailed me a listing he found..

Good old Rich from Rich's Fishes looks out for the bandit. He shot me that email and thought maybe we would meet up over the week end..Well I called and confirmed my suspicions and had to go right away..
It appears I got there in time to get first pick out of a group of 50 from Danziger Discus Farms in Tel Aviv Israel..
This is one and only breeder written about in Amazonas magazine Jan/Feb 2017 issue. They said they should here soon a year ago and well , it was a long year IMO..
They are really still in bags with MB temperature acclimating to NY right now ! I figured I had to buy a shirt while there to verify their "collection point" so I did !
They didn't ask me many questions ,but I asked the important ones..
After they cashed me out [ $$$] I told them I am a pretty good ram breeder..
The owner turned and said " breed them and come back !"...
I told him I would be touching base with him in 4-8 months and then I think he knew I was serious...
He didn't even see my card his employee had wrapped in the ticket with my cash...YET .

I am psyched to finally have them and know probably not too many others do..:dance::dance::dance:

First Dibs!
I'll be talking to you in under 8 months ! And you know I mean it ! :whistle:
I'll be getting some pics of these guys up later as there are not many to be found over the net.. NEW FISH and finally I am near the front of the line !(y)
I working on getting them eating as they look a little skinny.. Long trip from Israel maybe ! :nono: They are picking at pellets ,frozen bloodworms ,and they tried the freeze dried Australian black worms ..I have a few tricks in place now that many may not know , but I have found ways to 'stimulate' the fishes activity and appetite naturally !:cool:

That is very exciting. Looking forward to your progress with these.
Thanks David ,but you are probably not as excited as I am..
I got the message at 12:00 and was on the road by 12:20 ! No joke I take possessing these and even being able to acquire them an honor..
So here is my first trick....
OVERSTOCKING ! Yup try to get these guys in a heard and inspire the spirit of competition..
zcMycJSl.jpg

I placed the 12 I got into a 2 1/2 gallon tank that I suspended in a 40b with some of my 5 month old rams....
In doing this the blacks see the others and want to interact with them..
I have the AquaClear flowing into the 2 /12 and have a AC 30 tube used as a syphon to allow ample flow through the 2 1/2..
I feed the both of them with flow from filter...Even if the new guys aren't real interested the swarm of my hungry rams drives them to take part..
For the Freeze dried black worms I cut the cube in half and placed 1 piece on the 40b sideof the new rams tank and the other in the 2 1/2 with new rams in the same spot..The blacks saw my rams swarm the cube and had to naturally investigate ! I saw a couple try them....
Here they are until I get them in to a proper size tank to grow them out and hopefully pair up...
8vcgUNbl.jpg

3oJRJBZl.jpg

lHTTqBjl.jpg

e4zXa2ul.jpg

sX3VWYKl.jpg

qTEu8fYl.jpg

upKfkmul.jpg

9VUAR74l.jpg

dS0S26Ll.jpg

:brows::brows::brows:(y):popcorn::popcorn:

Thanks guys !
I am lucky Mrs. bandit is so understanding..
I told her as soon as I got the email and she said call them !
The shop is only open by appointment they say but I walked right in 3 hours later after asking how late they were open...
When I left the 'store' I noted the owner locking the door that was not locked when I entered ! No more appointments today !
Kind of feel like I was allowed to sneak in !
I figured these were/are going to be a very 'in demand fish' and thought no matter what [almost] I had to get them so I could breed them here in the US and help the supply chain hopefully.
As understanding as Mrs. bandit is she looked a little surprised when I told how much the 12 cost ! She asked and I will tell no lies !:hide::lol:
I had to tell her they may look 'black' but I think with luck they will turn to 'gold' !:brows::dance:

So interesting how you make things happen. They are beautiful. Your gonna have fun with them! The drive was diffently worth it. Can't wait to see more in the soon future! Enjoy!

So interesting how you make things happen.
I think that is part of who I am ! When I learned my trade the 'elders' would ask 'it can't be done ,or you can't do it ? ' Some of us didn't age gracefully !:eek:
I learned quickly [ well they did have my picture next to "slow" in the dictionary for few years !] that I did not know it all and since maturing [a little I think] I find it helpful at the end of the day if I can say I learned something..
I honestly don't do much research for myself in compare to investigating others questions.. Part of how I grow instead of staying limited to just my own preferences..
I wasn't even looking for these . I don't go on face book and too many shops like this one don't do anything but FB...:nono: People who know me know...
In the same way I try to help people out with experience and good info somebody helped me out again !
:thanks: I get by with a little help from my friends .:thanks:

I think that is part of who I am ! When I learned my trade the 'elders' would ask 'it can't be done ,or you can't do it ? ' Some of us didn't age gracefully !:eek:
I learned quickly [ well they did have my picture next to "slow" in the dictionary for few years !] that I did not know it all and since maturing [a little I think] I find it helpful at the end of the day if I can say I learned something..
I honestly don't do much research for myself in compare to investigating others questions.. Part of how I grow instead of staying limited to just my own preferences..
I wasn't even looking for these . I don't go on face book and too many shops like this one don't do anything but FB...:nono: People who know me know...
In the same way I try to help people out with experience and good info somebody helped me out again !
:thanks: I get by with a little help from my friends .:thanks:
This is why I say interesting. I hear alot on "oh, can't be done, or no shouldn't be done." Putting my own experiments to the test I learn too, along with some advice here and there. I just like to see different ways to approach goals. Everything takes times, but now days it's what alot of people don't give to this hobbies, and is why they don't understand or quickly just give up. I am one who appreciates your post's of information for us all to see, what they say "can't be done" just watch bandit. Lol! [emoji6] thanks...

Folks like the bandit give this hobby hope. Thank you for the wisdom you share

Oh man! The electric blue breed with the black would be outstandingly gorgeous! ?hint! Hint! Lol!

Cool Beans Amigo!
Thanks man.
They were all moved to a 20 long just for them today.
84 degrees and 6-10 feedings a day and these guys have already bulked up.
Sent Israel [ Danziger ]an email to see if they tell me their water parameters for breeding and raising..
If they tell me great if not I will do my bandit thing ...
The males ,at least 3 of them are super tight .
They won't leave each other alone enough to see the girls claiming spots...:nono:
Boys will be boys so I guess I might be making pairs quick if they don't settle down.. No damage done by any yet but these guys are lot more mean to each other then my other rams .:popcorn:
This could be the most important fish I have got since starting my Ram journey...:confused:

Oh man! The electric blue breed with the black would be outstandingly gorgeous! ��hint! Hint! Lol!
It's like you read my mind...Maybe I have good taste and can guess what will people will like and read your mind ?:cool::confused:
Once they spawn [hopefully ] and I have raised the first set you know some will be crossed... :brows:
I don't see sense in crossing to GBR besides to have GBR with black gene?
To me I will always bank enough fish for me to explore .
My EBR /GBR cross look totally different then either so they would be a fish that carry color? Weirdly enough my cross have their spot in the dorsal and the blacks have a black line [flat spot] at the base of their dorsal.. Seems an odd coincidence ?
I think the spunk the black males show would nice to add to EBR also as they are passive fish IMO ...(y)

Back
Top Bottom