Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-23-2014, 12:22 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Blue dwarf gourami has built a bubble nest! But is the other gourami a female?

I thought I had two male gourami only because they have never shown any signs of breeding before, but I was very surprised to discover one of them has built up a bubble nest (I had to google that to find out what he was doing!) he has ripped up a moss ball! He has always had a red line around him and is much brighter than the other but I can't tell if "she" is indeed a female? I also want to know.. They are in a community tank so he is currently doing a great job of keeping all the other fish away from the nest including clown loach and rams.. But if I were to encourage breeding I need to know what to do next! Here are some pictures of the 'female' I would appreciate any advice! Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406132504.585723.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	250.3 KB
ID:	244150

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 07-23-2014, 12:31 PM   #2

Definitely a female. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406133080.408592.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	211.6 KB
ID:	244152
Right is female, left is male.
You can tell because of the dorsal fin shape at the end. The males comes to a point while the females rounds off.

Old 07-23-2014, 12:32 PM   #3

Left is a female, right is a male***
Sorry bout that.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:38 PM   #4

So she's a female? This is the male - the one that's built the nest .. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406133395.601381.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	241.4 KB
ID:	244153

So ... I DO have a breeding pair! 😄 eek what do I do??? Do I remove all the other fish to another tank?

Old 07-23-2014, 12:40 PM   #5

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406133559.298275.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	244.5 KB
ID:	244154

Here he is, with his nest! I am ridiculously excited .. how likely is it that they will have babies? Also they are due a water change .. But should I leave them alone?

Old 07-23-2014, 01:50 PM   #6

Omg omg omg!! I see teeny wiggly fry in the nest already!!! I took the lid off the tank and I can see them - will they survive in my community tank? I've just added a load of floating weed from my other tank for them to hide in..

Old 07-23-2014, 09:32 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

The chances are that the other fish will probably eat the fry. That's the nature of the beast. Gourami fry are also sensitive to water movement so there's another strike against them if you have a filter going in the tank. Dwarf Gourami fry also require a first food of green water/ infusoria or micro foods in quantity. They will get some of it from the live plants but how much is in the live plants? Who knows.
At this point, if you can scoop out the entire nest into a container, in one swipe, you may have a chance at rearing them. If not, you may want to consider using a separate tank for spawning them next time. If you can, just duplicate the temperature and use the tank water they were spawned in to start raising them. They can, at this point, be put into a 2 1/2 or 5 gal tank until they pass the infusoria stage. Then they will need to go into a larger tank to grow out. No filter's or airstones necessary for them now so just a cover to keep in the humidity. You can even use clear plastic wrap for the cover as this clings to the tank and keeps the humidity in. From there dim lighting is all that's necessary.

Hope it works out for you. Keep us posted
Old 07-23-2014, 10:28 PM   #8

Thankyou Andy! I have a little tank that is cycled and empty, I used it for some guppy fry, so if I switch off the filter in that tank could I carefully scoop out the nest and put it into the new tank? Or should I leave the nest in a jug with it's original water and say cling film with air holes on top?

I googled infur...thingy (the food!) I am going to put lettuce in a jar of tank water on my windowsill for a few days and hope it's not too late!

I will keep you posted!

Old 07-23-2014, 10:36 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Skype™ to Istrom
As with a good amount of fish, you can't normally call gender by point of fins. Especially dorsal fins, which don't tend to grow back. Female Dwarfs are more gray in color than the males. Just look for breeding behavior, that's my best advice.

-Istrom
Istrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 11:04 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'd put the fry in a bare tank ( you can just empty your guppy fry tank and remove the gravel and only fill to about 3 or 4 inches of water using the water form your main tank. Anabantid fry don;t need a lot of water depth and when they start to develop that labrynth gland, the closer to the surface they are, the better. These type of fish can drown if it's too hard for them to get to the surface.
Start your infusoria and look for the fry to start swimming horizontally. ( They should be just hanging by the bubble if they just hatched.) That's your sign to start feeding.

Tags
blue, bubble, bubble nest, dwarf, dwarf gourami, female, gourami, male, nest, ram

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com