Blue Rams and GBR pairing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dixiegirl89

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is it normal for blue rams to pair with german blue rams? I have in a 30 gallon 2 female Gbr and 2 male blue rams. I noticed they paired off to opposite sides of the tank. Is that possible for them to breed or are they kidding themselves.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I mean the size difference is pretty big.

As I understand it, blue and German blue are both Mikrogeophagus ramirezi. The differences are in their breeding (the German breeders are known for better specimens than the farms in the far east). In shops, blue rams are often mislabeled as German blue to make them sound more exotic when they actually originate far from Germany,

Well no I do understand that lol but these are definitely german blues and the other is much larger and are definitely not german blues :)

OK... So you have two GBRs and two of something entirely different? Like Bolivian? Bolivian cannot cross with GBR. Or do you mean your males are electric blue? If so, those can cross. Electric is just a color morph from selective breeding.

I put them in my 60, the water has cleared A LOT and im using prime. These are the two that paired up.

Attachments

• 1393546563686.jpg
    1393546563686.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 108
And my water parameters are perfect now :)

Is that possible for them to breed or are they kidding themselves.

That was definetly funny!!!! I do believe its possible for them to breed but they will be hybrids. I'm interested as to what they would make? Kinda makes you wonder but, would the eggs make it? That's the big question.

Yeah I thought of that too, mainly because of my kuhli loaches and weather loaches. Im sure they'd eat them up. Do you guys get what I mean by the difference lol. Those would be some super pretty babies I think. And thank you trinifella :) im in love with them. They're such an odd couple, so thats why I was a little confused when they paired up lol.

Those are male gold rams...arent they...

Yeah, you have gold and blue. Gold is a color morph from blue. And males are normally bigger than females. It's no stranger than a black and silver molly pair. That's how they started dalmation and marbled coloring.

I KNEW IT I told the guys at the pet store they were gold rams and they're all like " oh no theres blue on them so they're blue rams" but that didn't sound right to me. Hah! Look at this rookie over here figuring out fish breeds lol.

Hey will those blue rams get any bigger? I know they stay small but I wasn't sure how big exactly. Im not listening to pet store crap anymore.

Back
Top Bottom