blue rams fighting or breeding behavior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

talloulou

Aquarium Advice Addict
My two blue rams have gotten along fine for a few weeks. However, last night they looked like they were fighting with each other. They kept doing some sort of stand off/ stare off dance. Also a couple of times they locked lips. Today they seem back to their normal behavior, swimming around together. Neither one is hiding or acting shy like I would expect if it had been some sort of dominance fight. When I bought them I was told they were probably a male and female, as one was and still is more brightly colored. So are they fighting or trying to breed. I couldn't find any information on the internet about rams locking lips, but there was information on other cichlids that do this. I had just done a 30 % water change earlier in the day, but I do these often and never noticed a change in their behavior before.

If it is a pair it could well be breeding behaviour. The female will be more rounded and if in brreding condition will have a pinkish area on the belly.

Back
Top Bottom