Bn breeding q's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newbie_dave

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hiya guys, I noticed 3 days ago my male bn was missing so I had a look round the tank and here he is with his tail hanging out of a cave flicking his back fins, so I looked on Google and turns out he was fanning eggs i have set a fry tank up for them just in case they survive because I have the bns in a 45L with neons corys and I have apistos in there 2, what my questions are how long will it be before the eggs hatch? Should I take the male and the cave out and put it in a fry tank I have had set up? What are bns like as parents will they just let them go once the hatch and have loads of little bristle nose hanging everywhere? I have plenty of places for them to hide if its the case, I would just like a heads up what to expect as it's the first time I have had these sort of plecos so any advice would be good.....thanks in advance Dave ?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

About 5 days til they hatch. I'd leave him be from everything I've read the male will guard the fry. I have my first spawn I'm watching too. Just happened last night.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have only had them about a week very exciting stuff can't help but look in every 5 mins haha

Just used the light on my phone to see in the cave and there are wrigglers in there is at least 10 that I could see ?

Awesome!! Please keep us up to date! This is my first spawn too so I'm right there sharing the excitement with ya!

I wish I could get a picture but the cave they are in is in the most awkward place

You should be able to make the cave out its in the hole right in the centre of the picture

Attachments

• 1441559650066.jpg
    1441559650066.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 50
  • 1441559727137.jpg
    1441559727137.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 58
Yes, I see a fin! Which color variant do you have? Mine are albino short fins.

Both male and female are brown but the female has quite a thick white line on her tail it's nice

I've read the line fades as they get older. I've no experience so I don't know if that's true. I just found a brown with the white line in one of my tanks. Another one of my mother's unauthorized purchases while I was out of state. Ugh

Yes abt 3-5 days to hatch. I take mine out and put them in a breeder box w/dad. Theyll hatch and just be lil plecs hangin eberywhere. I break up algae wafers for them. some of mine are pretty old now and still have white or yellows lines present. Brennae- youll find the babies incredibally useful in bare bottom breeder tanks. They eat algae like a machin when theyre lil. Helps you keep tanks clean and helps them grow.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yes abt 3-5 days to hatch. I take mine out and put them in a breeder box w/dad. Theyll hatch and just be lil plecs hangin eberywhere. I break up algae wafers for them. some of mine are pretty old now and still have white or yellows lines present. Brennae- youll find the babies incredibally useful in bare bottom breeder tanks. They eat algae like a machin when theyre lil. Helps you keep tanks clean and helps them grow.

So do you suggest I take them out now I have a barebottom fry tank ready for them to go in now or should I leave them now?

I've read the line fades as they get older. I've no experience so I don't know if that's true. I just found a brown with the white line in one of my tanks. Another one of my mother's unauthorized purchases while I was out of state. Ugh

I ain't sure how old mine could be they are only about an inch and a half if that, oh is your mother any good at choosing fish? Haha

If theyre hatching id wait a bit. Let them hatch, absorb egg sack. If i miss a hatch, i usually wait 2 weeks before moving them. Ill post some pics. Gimne a sec to go snap some.

Great idea! There are some unauthorized purchase plecos in a few tanks but since I'm setting up 6 new I can certainly do that.

I ain't sure how old mine could be they are only about an inch and a half if that, oh is your mother any good at choosing fish? Haha

Well she has 3 tanks. One is mine but her goldies needed a place when they had to leave the flower pot pools outside. So I go to Virginia for 6 weeks every summer to work on my master's degree and she then sneaks and buys fish when I tell her not to. So I came home this year to find her original guppies bred so much they are now in 4 of my tanks and in those tanks she put plecos. So far one rubber lip, a brown bn and a Clown maybe. Not sure yet and of course she doesn't remember the names, just tells dude at the fish shop she wants plecos that don't get big. Last year it was loaches of some sort, they got large and when I came home I returned them. First year she killed an entire tank and a betta or 2.

She tries but she has trouble with her mind and following directions is hard for her. Both parents are disabled in some way so I'm here taking care of things.

She tries but she has trouble with her mind and following directions is hard for her. Both parents are disabled in some way so I'm here taking care of things.

My father in law is the same he has memory problems he has canarys but his brother has to go and help him with them as he forgets to feed them or feeds them and forgets that he did it stuff like that so I totally understand what you mean ?

Back
Top Bottom