BN genetics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zenkatydid

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a male peppermint bristlenose and a female albino bristlenose - both reaching sexual maturity. Is it possible they will breed, and if so, what colour would the babies be?

I assume albino is recessive like most other animals, so they wouldn't be albino - but is peppermint a colour variation or a different species? Is it dominant or recessive?

I'm not positive with the albino and peppermint, most breeder's tend to breed a specific sp and I have yet to see anyone who has cross-bred any. In regard to genetics, the peppermint is a specific species therefore, the genes are dominant. Does yours have the tell-tale blue nostril?

blue nostril?? :D

i have to say i've never noticed that... not that i recall specifically checking out his nose. with the distinctive colouring, i didn't realise you'd need such a thing - are there 'false peppermints'?

he is quite shy, so getting a good photo of him is difficult. here's about the best i've got:

img_818707_0_d7c94765f905358c1bcf6b67aec04173.jpg

i'm not specifically trying to get them to breed - otherwise i would have got a proper pair, as you say, but just wondering if it's a possibility.

Wow! That is a very handsome bristlenose. No, there are no "false peppermints", yours is a fine example of a nicely bred one as noted with the coloration on the dorsal fin. The bluish hue on the nose may appear green as well.

Back
Top Bottom