Bolivian Ram Eggs At Last!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Borderlesscott

Aquarium Advice Addict
Never had problems getting German Rams or Apisto's breeding, Bolivians have always been a thorn in my side. Got my male a partner a few months ago after searching everywhere for a female, though after watching it colour up in the tank we believed it to be a another male, so again breeding Bolivians had been stopped in its tracks for the time being. Strangely 3 days ago my two Bolivians started beating the hell out of each other, then dug a pit, then today proceeded to lay eggs all over a stone right at the front of the tank while I was sitting watching, can't believe I've finally got a breeding pair of Bolivians.

Attachments

• image-1867281665.jpg
    image-1867281665.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 74
Borderlesscott said:
Never had problems getting German Rams or Apisto's breeding, Bolivians have always been a thorn in my side. Got my male a partner a few months ago after searching everywhere for a female, though after watching it colour up in the tank we believed it to be a another male, so again breeding Bolivians had been stopped in its tracks for the time being. Strangely 3 days ago my two Bolivians started beating the hell out of each other, then dug a pit, then today proceeded to lay eggs all over a stone right at the front of the tank while I was sitting watching, can't believe I've finally got a breeding pair of Bolivians.

Congratulations! I can't wait til mine start breeding.

Congrats! I'm trying to start breeding them as well, I now have two hoping they pair up. One has been really flaring its fins a lot, could this be a sign they are beginning to court? What kind of behavior did you notice them displaying around the time they paired up?

They went from being typical Rams, fighting one minute, best of buddies the next to full out war after a tank rearrange. Lip locking, never done that before and general nastiness to each other for a few days then they started digging a pit around 2 days ago, then a few hours ago I was sitting watching the tank when she started laying the eggs. If the fighting had continued I was for taking one out as I was still convinced it was a male, bloody Bolivians - thought I had a female, then it was a male and then it turns out I was right at the start. Not holding my hopes out for fry as its a first attempt, but at least I know I have a pair.

I just released my new ram out in the tank, they are going between chasing each other around to separating then going back to chasing each other, they are also flaring their fins out too.

They are just sorting out who the boss is, shouldn't go on to long, but is normal from time to time.

Mine have been joined at the hip for the last couple weeks. Wherever one goes the other is sure to follow. Their colors are starting to become more intense too. I'm hoping mine mate soon. If they don't ill probably add another few to the tank so they can choose a mate.

Back
Top Bottom