Bolivian Rams laid eggs today - hurray!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hbeth82

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've thought for a while that two of my rams had paired up but it kind of seemed like an on-again, off-again pairing. This evening though, I noticed that they were both fiercely guarding a rock in the middle of the sand box and, sure enough, in a little depression of the rock there were about 30-50 eggs!
I've read that the eggs typically hatch in about 3 days and it doesn't sound like there's much I can do until then. To try to keep the fry safe, I'm thinking of getting this since I don't have another aquarium I can put them in right away. I do have a 1gal tank that I think I'll try to cycle and then move the fry in there when they get too big for the hatchery, but I'm wondering if it would be better to put them in the 10gal tank.

Can I feed the fry flake food or do I need to get fry food? Also, I have a BN pleco that's very territorial and tends to prefer the carnivore pellets over algae wafers - should I worry about him going after the eggs or fry? Any other advice or suggestions?

No flakes for a week or so.

Fry need first bites,rotifers and BBS AFTER the yolk sac disappears.
Kens has an egg flake for older fry that is phenominal with growth rates.

I used both frozen and live rotifers to rear my fry before and will use it again, the rotifers really beef the fish up above and beyond what fry food and flakes do for the little guys.
1g tank wont be big enough when they are hatchlings, it would be better if you could get a 15g tank and let the parents live and breed in there alone.

I got a pair(these things were less then an inch so no breeding hopes involved in the picking out, other then the fact they were the last two in with a tank of kribs)of GBR's last tuesday(week ago) by thursday evening of last week I had GBR eggs in QT.

The BN will get beat on a bit by the parents but he wont get killed. any/all fish in that tank will go after the fry, big fish eats little fish.

Not sure if the parent's got hungry last night or if they wandered off and my corys found them, but no eggs this morning :(

Thanks for the advice on feeding, I'll keep that in mind should this happen again. In the future, should I take the rock they lay eggs on out & put it in a separate tank? I ordered a breeding net last night, maybe in the future I'll try turning it upside down over the eggs.

Back
Top Bottom