Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-16-2005, 01:23 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Botia (sp.???) loach breeding?

I don't know the exact species, all my lfs said was botia loach. The picture tells best.

The questions are: what is the species?

And the largest one, I think it is a gravid female has been hiding in the coral thing in the picture. BOth males (i think they are anyway) are in the picture. The larger one will not let the smaller one in the cave. He also spends alot of time in the cave with the female (I Think) whom I also think is gravid. All I cann ever catch is a glimpse of her tail and then it shaking vigorously. Could it be spawning or baby behavior is it just territorial?

Old 09-16-2005, 01:47 AM   #2
God of primitive fishes

Send a message via MSN to Toirtis Send a message via Yahoo to Toirtis
Skunk botia, Botia morleti....almost impossible to sex visually (except, possibly, by behaviour), and as far as I am aware, there has never been a recorded instance of captive-spawning in this species. They do reach a good 4¬Ĺ" in length, so sexual maturity is probably not reached until they are at least half-grown.
www.calgaryaquariumsociety.com
Toirtis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breed, breeding, loach

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com