Brads breeding thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We'll into day 4 with a new batch of wiggles so far there all doing great I used meth blue and was a little more prepared this time. Iv been watching my first pair of angles and knew they were about to lay. As soon a so got to work wife text me with pics. So after a 12 hour shift I get to go home and move the angle eggs to a new tank.

Cool man, glad to see all is coming along well. Should be some interesting patterns coming out of those eggs, lol.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm hoping so. I'll be happy when I get my first wiggles to free swimmers. That'll be a small accomplishment for me. I work full time and I have the wife looking after things while I'm gone. So I get 20-30 texts a day about what to do lol. She's learning though. I took my single discuss to my local pet store to see of I'll get lucky and she'll pair off and I'll buy which ever one she pairs off with hell even at whole sell discus still are 20-22.50 a piece.

I'm gonna give the breeding operation a year to play out. If I havnt broken even by then I'm gonna sell it all. That's taking in account food electricity equipment ect. I know I hear everywhere breeding fish isn't profitable and I'm not hoping to get rich by any means. But more of a long term investment. I'd be happy with breaking even and having 1-200 extra a month would be great.

When you say interesting patterns is that a good thing or bad lol

Congrats. I have a Striped female like yours and a nice 1/2 orange Koi Angel pair with eggs now, just trying to decide to keep the eggs or not! My female is ferocious with her eggs!

I'm hoping so. I'll be happy when I get my first wiggles to free swimmers. That'll be a small accomplishment for me. I work full time and I have the wife looking after things while I'm gone. So I get 20-30 texts a day about what to do lol. She's learning though. I took my single discuss to my local pet store to see of I'll get lucky and she'll pair off and I'll buy which ever one she pairs off with hell even at whole sell discus still are 20-22.50 a piece.

I'm gonna give the breeding operation a year to play out. If I havnt broken even by then I'm gonna sell it all. That's taking in account food electricity equipment ect. I know I hear everywhere breeding fish isn't profitable and I'm not hoping to get rich by any means. But more of a long term investment. I'd be happy with breaking even and having 1-200 extra a month would be great.

More often than not, 1 pair of fish will not make you the kind of money you are talking unless you are getting high dollars per fish you sell. 3 pairs of Angels may still be pushing it.:whistle: That said, you should be able to make enough to at least have the fish pay for themselves in terms of food and upkeep. In my experience, 1 year isn't long enough to make a fair assessment but only you know how much you need and have to do to get it.
To make a fish operation profitable, you need to sell a high volume of fish so you will need more than 1 customer or 1 wholesaler ( unless they sell high volume weekly). You need to raise them quickly and sell them quickly as well. The food and upkeep is what costs the money so the shorter you have them, the less they cost to make. HOWEVER, and this is what I've been trying to change, some of the fish now develop their deformities a little later in life so if a store or consumer buys what appears to be a good fish only to have it turn to poo shortly after they get it, it can kill your business. This is why the 1 year plan is so hard. If you can take that first generation and grow them to breeders and only breed those that remain in good shape, you will eventually be able to know that your line only produces better quality fish and they will be worth more money. In the case of Angelfish, there's about a year just waiting for them to become breedable. So in 3 years, you will only have 2 generations of fish to know the results of. I'm currently using some breeder lines that are way too inbred and throwing away a high percentage of the spawns. But I know that once I can get only the good fish breeding and some new blood into the lines, I will be losing less fish to deformities which will increase the bottom line. This all takes time and tanks.

Hope this helps. (y)

Hey Andy welcome back how was vacation? Thanks for the helpful insight. I never thought of it like that. I had another pair lay today. I have 5 pairs of angles so far. Hope to get a pair or 2 of discuss I hope to have. 4-5 local pet stores to sell to that are mom and pop shops. And I plan on doing some shipping on ol eBay as we'll. we'll see how that goes.

My angle tried to tear the tip of my finger off when I removed the slate. Hopefully I won't have to get eggs out of my pirhana tank lol that might hurt a little more then a angle fish gumming me hahahahahahahahha. Working 12s from 5pm to 5am makes everything seem funny.

Hey Andy welcome back how was vacation? Thanks for the helpful insight. I never thought of it like that. I had another pair lay today. I have 5 pairs of angles so far. Hope to get a pair or 2 of discuss I hope to have. 4-5 local pet stores to sell to that are mom and pop shops. And I plan on doing some shipping on ol eBay as we'll. we'll see how that goes.

My angle tried to tear the tip of my finger off when I removed the slate. Hopefully I won't have to get eggs out of my pirhana tank lol that might hurt a little more then a angle fish gumming me hahahahahahahahha. Working 12s from 5pm to 5am makes everything seem funny.

I'm not home yet but I've been checking in as often as I could. Not everywhere I've been has internet. :eek: Glad the info was helpful. It comes from experience. ;)
I started a new thing with removing the slates. I too am tired of getting my fingers nipped. :blink: I just lower the water level to the normal water change level then remove the slates ( holding them at the top) then adding new water back in. This way, they can't bite me. :brows:

We'll been busy around the house on my 2 days off. I have about 50 free swimmers :) i moved them to a 10 gallon lastnight. The same pair they came from has already laid again. Thinking I'm gonna have to set up some more 55s for grow out tanks

Awsome. Im putting up a 55 as i type. Gotta grow out the pinoy blues. Theyre abt nickle sized now.

I came home for lunch to fill it up, lol.

Day 3 of the swimmers being inside the 10 gallon and there doing great feeding them 5-50 micron golden pearls I believe is the name. Looks like. 20-50 made it. Still trying to get the perfect mix of method blue in the hatching containers. Don't think I'm using enough. I probally have 1-200 blue acara fry that are eating great (not sure what I'll do with then but still good practice to raise them. If nothing else thell be feeders to my oscar and piranhas. Guppies are still doing great which is good because my local pet store can't get seem to get a good supply of them. Every one she gets die

Few new updates I now have about 200 free swimmers :) problem is now there laying faster then I can place them lol. There laying every 5 days we'll 3 pair are. I got 2 10 gallon tanks full of swimmers. In a week or so I'm gonna move them into 30 gallons then 55s. Starting to go heavier on the meth blue and getting better survival rates. Guess I'm officially a breeder lol. Gonna build another rack or 2 in the next few days so I can house a few more pair of angles that I hope to be getting soon :))))

Blue acara are growing like crazy. They look like small bees swimming around in the tank with there black strip coloration.

Endlers and guppies have taken over a 55 gallon. My first batch of endlers have developed most of there color and are beautiful.

Are you still interested in the solid blacks?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom