Breading Angelfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

twolargeoscars

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

I just have been wondering how hard is it breading angelfish? I have been wondering this for a while. A local fish store owner told me that they were pretty easy to bread. Do they lay eggs? anyhelp would be good thank you for your time...........................SHaun

I know they are supposed to be pretty easy, they lay eggs and they need a smooth area to deposit eggs on, but that's about it for my angelfish breeding knowledge. :?

I have a pair that have breed acouple of times and the only thing I did was buy them. I didnt buy a breeding pair,I bought 4 small angels from 2 different shops. ! year later I had a brreding pair and move them to my 20qt when she looks ripe.

I have a pair that i bought too! and they also bred fairly easily. Just make sure you take the preg female out or else you will have few if any survivors!

ok so there are a few things you need. First of all your water conditions has to be completely pristine! The pH doesn't really matter much anymore because most angels are captive bred and raised in higher then normal pH. You water has to be a minimum of 79F constantly. They will breed on almost anything, the side of the glass, a piece of slate, thick leaved plant leaves etc.... There has to be a VERY SLOW current (if you have a cannister filter the spray bar should be facing the wall). Now, if you have the opportunity to buy a breeding pair, awesome. if not, get about 6 - 8 juvenile angels and let them sort it out. It is almost impossible to sex angels until they start to breed and then you can tell which angel is male and which is female. If you plan on letting the parents raise the fry, then you are going to need them in a seperate 30 gallon tank (but i recommend 50 gallons minimum). If you want to raise them artificially, the angels need to have the eggs laid on a piece of slate for the easiest transportation. Flip the slate so the eggs face down and then have an airstone gently blow air over the eggs. If you want to raise the fry, either use a mature sponge filter or enclose your filter intake so that the fry won't get caught and perish.

Angels lay somewhere between 200 - 450 eggs at any one spawn session. The parents are great at raising their fry and will eat the eggs that are not fertilized and are turning fungal. Keep the angels seperate from other fish unless you plan on raising them seperately in a different tank. if you keep your angels with other fish, the parents will eat the eggs as they get stressed out big time. It is all things i have learned from the times my angels have spawned.

Hi,

Great Information thank you all. I guess I did have angel eggs then :lol: but then they did eat them because I did not have the internet and stuff. mine also laid the eggs on the filter pump. Again thank you for the information and the link. I currently have one angel now :( one ended up dieng so I ll have to make my rounds to the fish store and have him get me out a couple of males and female's. :D also one other question is how big does a angel fish get? I dont know alot about them but do they stay kinda small? or do they get big mine is yellow and black looking anyhow thank you all again this site is great!...................................Shaun

A full grown healthy angel will get around 5-6 inches in diameter, on average. They need plenty of room, so if you have a small tank...you might want to reconsider.

Hi,

na I have a big enough tank for them. I just was kind of wondering how big they get thank you again....................SHaun

Back
Top Bottom