Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-12-2011, 09:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Breeder Box Anyone?

I'm getting a breeder box cas I gots fish thatle eat ther young so I don't want to lose babies. Any suggestions?

Old 05-12-2011, 09:29 PM   #2
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

I dont like them. I killed two fish on two separate incidents using one. They do more harm than good IMO. Too much stress on the fish.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:30 PM   #3
come get me tang police!

I have 2 different kind of breeder nets, one is made of a rigid plastic material and the other is made of plastic posts and covered in a cloth material. I prefer the rigid plastic one, it seems like fry and other fish in the tank end up getting stuck around the cloth and die.

I have one in each of my guppy breeder tanks, nonetheless, and I think they still maximize fry survival.

I don't recommend those small breeder trap things though with the V in them, they are too small.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:31 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516
I dont like them. I killed two fish on two separate incidents using one. They do more harm than good IMO. Too much stress on the fish.
How? I've seen them successful and ther recommended by some breeders
Old 05-12-2011, 09:34 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetajockey
I have 2 different kind of breeder nets, one is made of a rigid plastic material and the other is made of plastic posts and covered in a cloth material. I prefer the rigid plastic one, it seems like fry and other fish in the tank end up getting stuck around the cloth and die.
I have a baby saver net but I want to get a box. Wat il do is have my fancy guppi give birth in it first, then after a week remove the guppies from the box into the tank and take out the adults. Then if a fish gets pregers in my tank w the net I'll put the babies in that.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:36 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:

I have one in each of my guppy breeder tanks, nonetheless, and I think they still maximize fry survival.

I don't recommend those small breeder trap things though with the V in them, they are too small.
War dimensions would u recommend? 10cm x 15? More? They com in diff sizes also can u show me a pic of the nets u gots?
Old 05-12-2011, 09:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhillieSniper115

I have a baby saver net but I want to get a box. Wat il do is have my fancy guppi give birth in it first, then after a week remove the guppies from the box into the tank and take out the adults. Then if a fish gets pregers in my tank w the net I'll put the babies in that.
Just pick up an empty ten gallon. Catch what fry you can catch with a cup if your not expecting it, and if you are, just put the female in the ten when you know she's expecting. All you have to do is run a second filter on the main tank, then stick a pantyhose over the intake when you put it on the 10. Let it run for a day, and you can put substrate in it if you'd like. The established media will pretty much cycle the tank automatically, and it will be much less stressful on the mom.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:58 PM   #8
come get me tang police!

Yeah I'll take a pic really quick. What I do is I put gravid females in the box and then after they drop the babies I take them out and just dump the fry into the tank below it. These are 15 gallon tanks.

Excuse the mess :P
Old 05-12-2011, 10:09 PM   #9

i have those same breeder nets i really like them
Old 05-12-2011, 10:14 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Yeah I'll take a pic really quick. What I do is I put gravid females in the box and then after they drop the babies I take them out and just dump the fry into the tank below it. These are 15 gallon tanks.

Excuse the mess :P
Ooh so ur a pro. I'm not wothy lol! I do have one of them but it already has a baby swordtail in it and its like 2 months old and still small!! Wen can I expect it to get bigger? And wats the dif between that and the breeder box ther the same size.
Old 05-13-2011, 01:24 AM   #11
come get me tang police!

I don't understand what you mean, as far as what the difference is.

Swordtails should be a large juvenile after 2 months, at least big enough to go back in with the general population. It could be a runt, though, or not eating enough.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:47 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
I don't understand what you mean, as far as what the difference is.

Swordtails should be a large juvenile after 2 months, at least big enough to go back in with the general population. It could be a runt, though, or not eating enough.
I feed it at least 1 time aday but I try to feed it 3x. How much should I feed it
Old 05-13-2011, 10:54 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Just got breeder box.
Old 05-14-2011, 01:08 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have one of those v shaped boxes that I got from petsmart and I don't recommend it.... My fish always seem to drop less fry when I put them into it. Plus my guppies always get out so it is not very effective IME
Old 05-14-2011, 09:13 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyGGGG
I have one of those v shaped boxes that I got from petsmart and I don't recommend it.... My fish always seem to drop less fry when I put them into it. Plus my guppies always get out so it is not very effective IME
How do they get out? I have a grated bottom one medium size. Theres no way the fish can get outin mine. Plus sometimes the mom doesn't have alot of fry. They can have between 10-100 babies.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:20 AM   #16
come get me tang police!

100 is a bit much lol its usually around 30-40ish max for a large female

Got pics of your new box? i'd like to see it with the fish in it just for a size comparison, I've used the small ones before and didn't liek them because the guppy seemed stressed.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:55 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

My guppy somehow wiggle their way over the top edges of the box I've watch wondering to myself how haha
Old 05-14-2011, 02:50 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyGGGG
My guppy somehow wiggle their way over the top edges of the box I've watch wondering to myself how haha
Mine it's imposipl
Old 05-14-2011, 02:51 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
100 is a bit much lol its usually around 30-40ish max for a large female

Got pics of your new box? i'd like to see it with the fish in it just for a size comparison, I've used the small ones before and didn't liek them because the guppy seemed stressed.
Ya I'll get it to u. It's to big to stress the mom out
Old 05-14-2011, 02:54 PM   #20

I like the nets more then the boxes but that's just me. i think the nets are cleaner then boxes are.

Tags
breed, breeder

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com