Breeder net

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

agentamalia

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got a breeder net for my platies. If the female gives birth in the net will she eat ALL of the babies or will at least some still make it? What if I feed her a good amount before or during labor? I want to save as many babies as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If you want to save as many as possible but give her a few minutes to rest after birth and move her outside the net. They are not a species that has to be with the fry.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I know that but I don't want her to eat them all while giving birth. Will at least some live or will she eat them all in the process? I've never had babies before

If you feed her soon before birth she should leave them alone for a while. I'd still move her though but wait like 10-20 mins after birth.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Yea I was planning to take her out when she's done I was just worried about during

Yea I was planning to take her out when she's done I was just worried about during

I think during she will be to busy popping them out lol. Fish deaths can occur during birth but it's not common. Just be prepared.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Ok I just got a net not the one that separates the mother and the babies I hope all goes good

you rarely see the mother turn around and eat the fry after during birth, they will really only do that if she is starving. and i would put a dense plastic plant at the top of the box and marbles at the bottom.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426267956.356192.jpgi have this could I put that in the net?

Ok I have them in my main tank right now just incase I miss the birth lol I'll still get marbles tho

you rarely see the mother turn around and eat the fry after during birth, they will really only do that if she is starving. and i would put a dense plastic plant at the top of the box and marbles at the bottom.

It depends on the species. Some if they are just hungry will make them a tasty snack.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Back
Top Bottom