breeding?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

linds3y

Aquarium Advice Freak
Okay, I have been wondering this for a while. For your average person, how do you make money breeding fish? What fish to choose? How to gain a market to sell the fry?
I'm a college student and I don't make enough money serving 3 days a week and don't have time to pick up a second job and if I could make money off the hobby I already spend time on and love ...that'd be perfect lol.
Any insiders advice/concerns/complaints?

well its a time consuming hobby. talk to some local fish stores and ask the what fish they would buy if you were to breed them . also there's a few breeders here in the chat room that you could talk to. I breed angelfish and cichlids and bristle nose plecos. it takes a lot of time and money and tanks so be prepared . do lots of research on the internet about what ever u choose to breed. send me a pm if u have any ?

Pick the fish you know people want. Ask people who own tanks, fish shops or any thing else what fish they like. Research how to breed the chosen fish or two, then go ahead and have a go!

Haha time and money are two things I don't have alot of right now.
I would LOVE to breed bettas but its not possible right now knowing that I'd have to have separate tanks for all the males.
Are there any easy fish to breed that are popular? I know guppies

Guppies and other livebearers are easy to breed, but you won't get any money for the babies unless you get a very good strain and line breed them. But those nice strains are expensive. Have you thought about trying to breed angelfish?

Nope, I have a big beautiful angelfish in my 75 gallon though. Have no idea of the sex though, I just call him a he by default,

pet stores here and other people here locally. as soon as i get into shipping i will sell more.

I have hundreds of baby platties right now, but I doubt I could ever find a buyer for those. Too bad because they are so darn cute! :)

There is a fish shop i went to yesterday and they would buy your fish. I was wondering if i could sell some self bred guppies to them but they have feeder guppies so they would probably go there. For some reason all the feeder guppies were black. If you were to breed you probably want to find a store that buys fish. You could breed lyretail guppies.

Back
Top Bottom