Breeding Angels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

itafx

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 3.5 inch zebra angel and a 2.5 inch gold veil angel. The zebra was in the community tank for 3 months when I introduced the gold veil. They immediately began swimming everywhere together. I would like give them their own tank and breed them, if they happen to be opposite genders, but I'm not sure if fish this different in size and color would even mate. Does anyone have first hand experience with this kind of scenario?

The color and finnage has nothing to do with it. They are all the same species. Only thing you need to have is a boy and a girl. Just a word of caution two females will go through the motions as well. If they are a couple they will let you know. I wouldn't worry about seperating them until they lay their first batch of eggs.

Wow! Thanks!! Does it matter that one is twice as large as the other?

The size probably will matter the smaller one may not be mature enough to breed depends on the fish. There may be some aggression issues later on down the road also.

Hi. I am no expert at angels, but I have some pics you might enjoy. My friend has an angel tank. she has 6 in there, 2 paired up pretty quick and have been laying eggs for months now. she is pretty sure 2 more are a pair. anyway, the male is bigger than the female, and they are two different "types"(color and markings). they first laid eggs on filter, now they lay on a plant. she plans on using slate as soon as she sets up another tank and try to raise em.

Attachments

• 100_3415__medium__188.jpg
    100_3415__medium__188.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 31
  • 100_3416__medium__208.jpg
    100_3416__medium__208.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 100_3429__medium__176.jpg
    100_3429__medium__176.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 100_3427__medium__198.jpg
    100_3427__medium__198.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 30
  • 100_3422__medium__670.jpg
    100_3422__medium__670.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 38
  • 100_3420__medium__108.jpg
    100_3420__medium__108.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 35
thank you, the pics are all I can take credit for. I actually have a couple short videos of the female laying and male spraying, lol. your more than welcome to check them out, (if I get this right)

The 2 angels never worked out. Eventually they fought and I had to separate them. This fall, i purchased 7 golden angels of about 25 cent piece size from the same cohort. I've raised them to silver dollar size in a heavily planted 55 gal and am hoping to breed them when they are big enough.

Angels will fight, even breeding pairs. They bring domestic abuse to whole new levels. I've tried using tank separators and even putting them in separate tanks. In the end, as long as they're both healthy to start with, they'll calm down faster if they're just left to work it out themselves.

Hiding spots and bushy plants do seem to help though, gives one of them a place to retreat to between slug fests. It's rough to find a decent hiding spot when you're the size of an angel.

Back
Top Bottom