Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-16-2012, 11:28 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Breeding Bettas

My husband and I have Bettas that we want to breed. Ive tried once before with my female, but she instantly attacked my male so I had to bring him back. What is the best way to breed these beautiful fish?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0716121114.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	168.9 KB
ID:	106932   Click image for larger version

Name:	0716121121.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	164.0 KB
ID:	106933  

Old 07-16-2012, 11:39 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Never attempted it myself but I have heard both fish need to be in prime condition healthy.

Also, I found this from a simple google search.
Breeding Betta Splendens

Old 07-16-2012, 01:23 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

pm me i breed them. you will get different opinions from a lot of people
Old 07-16-2012, 01:28 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Research! Research! Research!

It's not for the faint of heart.
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:35 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I know andy sager has good breeding tips for bettas
Old 07-16-2012, 09:58 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Breeding Bettas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampyrechic View Post
My husband and I have Bettas that we want to breed. Ive tried once before with my female, but she instantly attacked my male so I had to bring him back. What is the best way to breed these beautiful fish?
As Bob mentioned, there are numerous ways people breed these fish.
I breed Bettas this way:
Condition the potential pair by adding higher protein foods like Bloodworms or Black Worms to their normal diet for approx. 1 week. Female should be nice and round with the first egg showing at her ovipositor.

Tank with new water and no filter-Covered to keep humidity in, water 80-82 degrees, Water height- no more than 6 inches. (I use anything from clear shoe box trays to bowls to glass tanks for spawning tanks. The water height is what's more important.) Some tubes such as PVC fittings or piping or other hiding places for the female along the bottom. I usually have 3 to 4 of these in the tank.

Male loose in tank- Female in glass jar, I use a piece of Romain lettuce leaf roughly 2" square for the male to build his nest. You can substitute a floating live plant. ( As the lettuce starts to deteriorate, infusoria cultures begin to happen.)
Assuming your fish have been conditioned, Males build nest within 24-36 hours, Females show breeding colors almost immediately, If female does not "challenge" the male when he flairs at her, she is most likely not ready for breeding. (My females flair their gill plates right back at the males.)
If all signs point to a compatible pair, I release the female in the morning.
I've had spawns happen as quickly as 45 minutes after introduction to 7 days later. (Note that if the male is highly aggressive, I will put the female back in the jar at night for their protection.) Once spawning is completed, the female is removed. Male cares for the eggs and fry. The male comes out the day before the fry are free swimming.

Rearing fry:
I don't usually start my fry with infusoria other than what was in the tank from the lettuce. I start hatching setup for live brine shrimp the day the fry start free swimming so that they are newly hatched by day 2. (PM me for more instructions on hatching out brine if you need it.)
At about 7-10 days old, I start a sponge filter with very little air (Fry are very sensitive to water movement.) I seed the sponge prior to using it to have a "cycled" filter instantly.

From this point on, it's feeding and careful water changes to get them to grow.

Feel free to PM me if you need more help with these fish.

Good luck with your pair

Tags
betta, bettas, breed, breeding

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com