Breeding bettas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry you have not gotten a reply by now. You can breed them in a plastic seater box from WalMart. Place the male in the box for several days. Once he is comfortable and feeding well, place the female in a glass jar and put the jar in the box. The males will really have a tiz, but he should blow a bubble nest in 24-48 hours. Release the female, but put the jar in a corner away from the nest close enough that the female can get behind it if necessary. If you don't see them spawn you will note the female hiding and the male blowing very tiny eggs back into the nest. Get the female out and leave the male in until the young are too hard for him to control. Remove him and gradully move fry to a 10gal to rear. Make sure to have green water and brine shrimp.

Sorry you have not gotten a reply by now. You can breed them in a plastic seater box from WalMart. Place the male in the box for several days. Once he is comfortable and feeding well, place the female in a glass jar and put the jar in the box. The males will really have a tiz, but he should blow a bubble nest in 24-48 hours. Release the female, but put the jar in a corner away from the nest close enough that the female can get behind it if necessary. If you don't see them spawn you will note the female hiding and the male blowing very tiny eggs back into the nest. Get the female out and leave the male in until the young are too hard for him to control. Remove him and gradully move fry to a 10gal to rear. Make sure to have green water and brine shrimp.
I would not breed them in anything less than a 10 gallon...

It takes some time for them to actually mate once ready and together. At the start they chase each other. In a small container they would kill each other. And in order for the male to blow the bubble nest there must be pristine conditions. This means perfectly clear, heated water. What I did was set up a 10 gallon. Then I put one of those plastic boxes in the back of the tank which is in the tank with the same water, but the top sticks out of the water. Put the female in that, and the male in the tank. Eventually they'll get settled. Once there is no traces of ammonia, nitrites, or nitrates, and everyone is stress free, the male will build a bubble nest. Once the nest is fully built, the male is showing interest in the female, and the female is showing her stripes, it's time to let the girl into the tank. Make sure the tank has plenty hiding spots. I recommend java moss along with rocks, caves, and other decorations. If the spawn attempt is successful, move the female back to her plastic container in the tank. You can move her to her own tank now. Then let the male raise them until they're free swimming. After they're free swimming, move the male ASAP into his own tank or he'll eat the fry. At this point you NEED an infusoria culture already ready to go. So feed that daily, and after a week feed microworms also. Look up "breeding betta fish" on google for more detailed information.

Ok, right now I'm breeding betas, the eggs are in the male's bubble nest, I've bred other kinds of fish and when the eggs are white it means they are not fertilized. Is this the same situation with beta eggs

Back
Top Bottom