Breeding Betta's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hummingguppy

Aquarium Advice Regular
In the land of potatoes. otherwise known as Idaho.
Breeding betta's is something that greatly interests me. I have owned betta's before, and currently own one blue male veil tail. He isn't breeding quality, though, since I bought him from a bet shop. So, if I did end up breeding them, I would buy a pair of betta's online, from either eBay or aquabid. I understand the whole breeding process, conditioning and the breeding tank set-up. The one thing I have found increasing variants on is what to do as the dry grow. When to separate them, when you can tell if they are male or female, and what type of container to house them in when it is time to separate them. The container is what I found most disagreement on. Some kept them in canning jars, some in one gallon bowls, etc. I usually keep my betta's in filtered, 10 gallon tanks, sometimes in three and five gallons, but it just isn't feasible for me to have 60+ ten gallon tanks, for both room and price reasons. What have you done and had successes with?

Breeding betta's is something that greatly interests me. I have owned betta's before, and currently own one blue male veil tail. He isn't breeding quality, though, since I bought him from a bet shop. So, if I did end up breeding them, I would buy a pair of betta's online, from either eBay or aquabid. I understand the whole breeding process, conditioning and the breeding tank set-up. The one thing I have found increasing variants on is what to do as the dry grow. When to separate them, when you can tell if they are male or female, and what type of container to house them in when it is time to separate them. The container is what I found most disagreement on. Some kept them in canning jars, some in one gallon bowls, etc. I usually keep my betta's in filtered, 10 gallon tanks, sometimes in three and five gallons, but it just isn't feasible for me to have 60+ ten gallon tanks, for both room and price reasons. What have you done and had successes with?
int
For starters, if you don;t have the room for multiple jars or tanks, breeding Bettas for quality will most likely be a fruitless effort. At some point, ( I'll get to that in a minute), all the males will need to be separated or else you will have a whole bunch of ripped up fish.
Next: as for quality, just because you get the fish from a pet shop does not mean you will have crappy fish. You can see some of the fish I raised in my albums sections of my profile and some of their parents came from Walmart as well as other pet shops. If you want "specialty" types, then you may need to go online for specific breeders.

My Bettas were bred in everything from shoe boxes to 1/2 filled 10 gal tanks. (Again, my albums has pics of these ;))The common denominator was that once the fry were eating on their own, they needed to be transferred to a much larger tank as a typical spawn was about 200-300 fry. I used 20 gal longs and 30 gal longs to grow out my fish. Once they started to show sexes, then I would start separating the males. Now, the caviat to this is the fact that when you raise spawns up together, often, the male siblings don't usually fight until they are of breeding age ( approx 3-4 months old) and condition and if the tank is large enough, there may never be fights. This however usually does not work when you mix spawns together, even at a young age, for some reason. If you do separate the males, one of the "tricks" to getting long finnage is to put the fish in a smaller container so that the body stops growing but the fins don;t. Now before you start thinking "How cruel!", this can be done in a number of fashions. What I did in my last breeding effort, was to make a plexiglass grid that divided the bottom of a 30 gal long tank into 12 parts. With one fish in each section, I also had room for a filter to blow water through the sections so there was little stagnant water. While this worked, 12 fish per tank was not going to cut it as I was having a few hundred fish at a time that needed to be dealt with so I made a flow through rack with running water and cubicles so that I was now able to house 80-84 males within the whole system. Much better!!! HOWEVER, That was good sometimes for only one spawn and I was doing more than one pair so I needed to make another section which was when I said enough already!!!!! See, if you breed Bettas successfully, you will have to have a lot of room or else it's futile. :facepalm:

Unfortunately, you wont know what the male to female ratio of the fry will be until they are older which means you have to be prepared for a lot of fish. In one spawn, I had successfully raised 120 fish of which 100 of them were males. In another spawn, I only raised 80 fish but there were only 4 males in the whole lot. There's just no way of telling until you see a track record of the particular pair.

Okay, so now that I've probably scared you ;) I can tell you that my Asian Betta breeders used 1 gal jars to raise their males in. Females were kept together in planted pools and large tanks. I've done them in 1/2 gal jars but that meant extra water changes in them. I have produced some really nice quality Bettas but it was a lot of work. If you are not prepared for the work, maybe Betta breeding is not a good thing for you. :whistle:

Feel free to PM me if you have more questions (y)

Oh, I have room, and especially for only one gallon jars. I wanted to buy them online because I like the rose-tail variety. I would only breed one pair, and Raja, my pet store betta, isn't very pretty. I adore him, and he has such a sweet personality, but his tail is... Thin, that's the only word for it, really, and I don't know if he was inbred or underfed but he is really small, about 1 inch including fins. He is so little I have to crush and soak his betta pellets before I feed him because he can't fit them in his mouth. I was actually thinking of starting him on live food, thinking that might help bulk him up.

Ok, so the question is, how many 1 gal jars can you handle? Remember, unlike a tank, these will not be filtered so you will need to be changing water and cleaning them at least once a week.
As for your current Betta, I was referring to your comment and not your fish in particular as I hadn't seen your fish. ;) I was just saying that you CAN get some nice Bettas from a pet shop and not JUST from online. (y)

Good luck with your breeding. Feel free to PM me if you have other questions :)

Back
Top Bottom