Breeding bettas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shelbidavis

Aquarium Advice Activist
I really want to breed my betta! I don't think I have enough tanks to supply them all or enough knowledge on perfect conditions for fry:/ what was your first experience breeding a betta?!? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1414864946.044972.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You may be right, you may not be prepared. ;)
My first experience was a success only because I had a teacher who was breeding Bettas and raising them by the hundreds for his store. I had the benefit of hands on help at every turn. I probably would have killed a few fish before getting it right if I did it alone. :eek:

Here's a link to a page I suggest everyone who wants to breed Bettas should read just so you know what you are in for. Here's a hint, they are easy to breed, the fry on the other hand, are not easy to raise.
I suggest you read all 4 sections. breeding bettas

Hope this helps (y)

The problem with trying to breed bettas is that not every male and female you put together will be a match. Although, the male is taking care of the nest, if there's no match woth the chosen female.... nothing will happen. Maybe some shredded fins as a result.

I myself have bred bettas for many years. About three years ago, I've stopped keeping and breeding them in order to create more space for my livebearers. I've sold everything to my neighbours.

In all those years that I've bred bettas, I hardly had losses. In general raising wasn't those fry wasn't that hard. Only in the beginning I had loses.

But yes, be aware that you need sufficient space in order to split those juvenile males from eachother. Btw, sometimes also females can be aggressive towards other males or even females. It really depends on the individual character of those fish.

Back
Top Bottom