breeding betta's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

ok i had a thread a while back where i said i wanted to try breeding... heres what i currently have

My male betta lives in his humble 1 gallon home with gravel, java fern, and some rocks. i do a 50% water change every other day for him.
My female lives in my community tank

i bought a 1/2 gallon plastic betta tank that has a divider in it.. i put them both in, one on each side, with a bare bottom. Don't worry, it is not going to be their permanent home i promise. So they are occassionally flaring at each other and the female has verticle stripes, she looks fat too, like maybe she's holding eggs. So now im guessing i just wait for the male to build a bubble nest and then remove the divider and see what happens????

and if i do daily water changes, how long do you thing i should keep them in there, what if he never builds a nest should i just give him a couple of days and see what happens and then put them back in their respective homes???

not sure a half gallon tank is big enough for them to breed in. for them, it feels like they got trapped in a shallow puddle in the dry season...probably not a likely time to spawn.

but I've never bred betta

eh.. guess its a lost cause then, my spare 10 gallon is being used for my hatchling corn snake for at least the next 6 months.

I have a spare 15 gallon...but absolutely no supplies for it. Maybe one of these days I'll set that up somewhere.

AshleyNicole said:
eh.. guess its a lost cause then, my spare 10 gallon is being used for my hatchling corn snake for at least the next 6 months.

Bah...10s are cheap and plentiful as anything...go get another...and another, and another...;)

Toirtis said:
AshleyNicole said:

Bah...10s are cheap and plentiful as anything...go get another...and another, and another...;)

lmao.. i can have a world full of bettas! LOL

eventually i will get a 10 gallon, and maybe another male and female betta and then work on trying to spawn them.

It is really coll spawning the bettas. I have a 20 Long set up as a female betta tank with 5 females. I have most of my males in 2.5g tanks and two in a divided 10g.
I have 9 males total. A bare bottom 10g with a sponge filter is set up as a breeding tank. I just started breeding bettas and had success on my 3rd try.
More females will be bought soon.

ok.. got me a up.. spare 10 gallon today (shhh don't tell my husband.. LOL) and i got one of those hang over the side betta things.. I have a male in the tank and a female in the hand over side thing.. so they are together but separated. So now i just wait for a bubble nest to let the female out? And she should show her stripes when she's ready right? Cuz she's already showing verticle stripes.. lol

I don't have a filter for it yet, but its heated to 78 and i got some floating anarchis in there to see if he wants to use it for his nest. Let me know if i should do anything else.

YAY>. he made a bubble nest!!! I found it this morning but it was right next to the hangover box that the female was in, so when i let her out i kind of broke it up a little bit... So now anyway i let her out and im going to see what happens

well i left the female in with him all day but nothing.. :? So i put her back in the community with my other 2 females and hes back in his 1 gallon. I guess my betta's are happy, i have 3, each in their own 1 gallon homes and i found 2 bubble nests this morning, 1 from the one with the female,and another by himself. My red one still hasn't blown any nests.. i don't know why. I guess i just don't have the patience for this breeding stuff.. or maybe the female wasn't ready? I swear she was showing verticle stripes but nothing happened when i let her loose.

If he blew a nest and she had her stripes you should have left them together longer.
Mine were together for 3 days before they spawned.

oscarbreeder said:
If he blew a nest and she had her stripes you should have left them together longer.
Mine were together for 3 days before they spawned.

ack..i just don't have the patience.. i mean, i was really afraid he might hurt her because she kept going to the bottom and laying down. Im gonna wait a while so i can get a heater and a filter for the 10 so i can maintain the environment a little better.. i sort of just threw them together :?

You may want to get a sponge filter for the 10g breeding tank.
I found that a small HOB had to much current and kept popping the bubbles when the male tried to make his nest.

You can add a styrofoam cup cut in half for the male to make his nest under. It works great.

thanks, i figured a HOB would be too much surface agitation

Back
Top Bottom