breeding black skirt tetra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abrahamavelar

Aquarium Advice Addict
i want my black skirt tetra to breed in the main tank so my question is how big do they have to be before they breed?????? also i have plants in my tank so what else do i need for them to breed

Black skirts are egg layers. IME getting them to spawn is not difficult, the hard part is to keep eggs and fry from being eaten by adult fish.

If you really want to raise the fry it would be best to set up a smaller breeding tank. Condition the adults, move them into the breeding tank to spawn, then back into the main tank.
Plenty of fast-growing live plants like Najas and an air-driven sponge filter in the breeding tank would be helpful. The fry will be tiny, check into getting some suitably small golden pearls to feed them.

IMO if you want fry, the easiest way to go about it would be to put some parents in a small breeding tank and then remove them once you see spawning behavior so the eggs are not eaten.

I have a tank of all egg layers (black skirts, danios, black neons). The danios spawn quite regularly in my java moss. I sold a friend some RCS and threw a chunk of java moss in the bag for the shrimp to cling to while he was transporting them and amazingly enough a few weeks later he had a baby danio swiming around in his *shrimp only* tank. I however have never once seen any fry of any sort..just too many predators in my community tank.

Back
Top Bottom