Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-08-2006, 01:37 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Breeding Chamber

I'm looking at getting this or this I need to decide quickly if I can't find it locally. Does anyone have any experience with these models or reccomend one. I need something that can easily isolate the fry without me being around cause I probably wont be.

Old 06-08-2006, 03:00 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have the fresh flow one, but I am not impressed. The water circulation thingie is hard to adjust just right. I usualy end up bubbling air in without really pumping any fresh water in. You finally get it perfect, and evaporation changes your water level enough to be trouble. Then when you do a water change, you have to undo the suction cups so you don't leave the babies dry.

I more often use the simpler floating box (I think it's a Lee's product.) A couple snails and a daily swish do as much to keep the box clean as those air powered stirrers.

dskidmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 03:56 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have a breeder with holes on the side for the water to flow through.

The problem I find with them is the pregnant fish never wants to be put in them, and I never know exactly when she's ready to pop, so I just end up catching all the baby frys when I find them swimming at the surface of the tank and just put them in the breeder box without the egg trap inside and raise them in there for a couple weeks.
Old 06-08-2006, 04:56 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok, let me clarify. I ONLY need this to protect the fry when she drops them. Afterward, they will be removed and isolated in a 10 gallon quarantine tank anyway. Maybe all I do need is the simple box for that.

As for catching all the fry, thats not something I really want to do. My current tank doesn't have a lot of hiding space and has 3 swords in it. Most likely she will drop them right after I leave for work knowing my luck and they will be eaten by the time I get back.

Also, how do I know WHEN to move her to a breeding chamber? I bought her already pregnant and shes getting bigger rather rapidly.
Old 06-09-2006, 08:16 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

What species? Sometimes with guppies and mollies you can see the babies' eyballs darken in the whomb a few days before birth.

My box has a lid, so it doesn't matter much how much momma wants to be in there. She's staying.
Old 06-09-2006, 08:48 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Its a Pineapple swordtail. And yes her gravid spot is very clear. Her body is solid right up until that spot and then it becomes pseudo clear.
Alshain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 10:40 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Use either a magnifying lens or a digital camera with a macro focus function and inspect the belly. You can watch the babies mature. When ready to go they'll have eyes. The tails won't be visible until after they come out.
Old 06-09-2006, 01:25 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dskidmore
Use either a magnifying lens or a digital camera with a macro focus function and inspect the belly. You can watch the babies mature. When ready to go they'll have eyes. The tails won't be visible until after they come out.
Lol, easier said then done :P She doesn't hold still that long.
Old 06-10-2006, 02:03 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you are going to put them in a rearing tank, put momma in there and let her have them in there. If there are plants in there and places for them to hide then most will survive.

If you really want use a breeder try This or this.

Either one will work and you can add some plastic plants or live ones in there like java moss or other items for hiding places. My last 3 spawns have resulted in more sword fry than I can count and I used the second one modified like below.

Tags
breed, breeding

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com