Breeding clown loaches?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

slj3

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have 2 clown loaches with probably way too many other fish in a 75 gallon tank. They are definitely some of my faves. I like watching them with the tiger barbs and albino tiger barbs... they swim around like they don't know they aren't the same type of fish.... they are all practically the same color after all. :)

I was curious about how they do breed, if in case it were to happen. Mine were looking awful friendly today and it made me wonder. Do they lay eggs? Are they live bearers? so on and so forth. Thanks!

They are egg depositors or scatterers or egg layers. They need to be quite big and old for them to have babies. They also have rather big clutches I think .

I have 2 clown loaches with probably way too many other fish in a 75 gallon tank. They are definitely some of my faves. I like watching them with the tiger barbs and albino tiger barbs... they swim around like they don't know they aren't the same type of fish.... they are all practically the same color after all. :)

I was curious about how they do breed, if in case it were to happen. Mine were looking awful friendly today and it made me wonder. Do they lay eggs? Are they live bearers? so on and so forth. Thanks!

Tank spawnings of Clown Loaches are rare because the fish need to be quite large in order to breed. Of the few instances I've read about, the breeders were at least 10" long and at least 8 to 10 years old. The common denominator of the all the spawnings was that the fish ATE all of their tank mates prior to spawning. :eek: Just something to think about ;)

Yeah they do need to grow pretty big for spawning . Plus you need quite a big school of them

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom