Breeding Cory cats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joeyjoelyjoepro

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi everyone, I was wondering if there was any easy way to breed Cory cats. I have a 15 gallon community tank.
Thanks,

I breed them and have a thread with lots of info, Andy Sager breeds them and has a thread with lots of info. Breeding is easy it's keeping fry alive that is the hard part

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You will likely fail to keep fry alive in a community tank. I agree with Brennae

I have never had any make it in a community environment. I don't even house my corys for breeding in a community tank. They tend to be in species only tanks and I pull the eggs as soon as they get fertilized. I keep them floating in plastic containers in the main tank or in a refugium fed by the main cory tank. The fry hatch within a few days depending on water temp and type of cory. The parents do eat their own eggs and fry as do many other fish. They have labyrinth organs as fry so they need a lid or other humid environment. I feed microworms and use IAL and they eat the critters that develope on the leaves. I also always put live plants with them for the infusoria for when they absorb the egg sack. You don't need to feed for the first few days as they get everything from the egg sack.

You usually need more males than females with corys and the difficulty I've found also comes with which corys you are trying to breed. Aeneus breed easily but my orange lasers do not.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

FWIW (I am not a breeder, YMMV, may not apply to all corys, etc) I have had bronze corys breed successfully in a community tank (survival rate was on the order of 20+/year from an initial stock of 6 bronze corys). Some or all of these may or may not have been a factor:

- The tank was lightly stocked
- I had dense forests of anubias that had not been trimmed or divided for most of a decade, clustered around and growing over a couple pieces of old driftwood.
- I didn't use a heater, and my water changes were always whatever the temp out of the tap was
- I had a smooth pebble substrate
- I never actually saw eggs in the tank
- I was pretty lazy about tank cleaning

Basically, anything I did right was by accident.

My theory - which may be totally BS - is that the primary factor in fry survival was the anubias jungle. The leaves are large and stiff, providing a reasonably solid surface for attaching eggs; the roots formed a dense thicket where the larger fish could not reach the fry; and the live plants provided a food source until the fry were large enough to partake of the flake and pellet foods I provided for the general population.

If I wanted to duplicate this again, without the decade-old clumps of anubias, I might try mixing a fast-growing and/or dense live plant, like water sprite or guppy grass, with sturdy, broad-leaf plastic plants. Maybe mix in a few vertical sticks of wood for more structure. Apply patience liberally :)

And if it doesn't work... at least it was cheap?

Back
Top Bottom