Breeding corydoras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Have them in their own tank, with a sandy bottom. Make sure you're feeding them live foods or meaty foods often to get them in the mood. Do 30% water changes regularly. Use a sponge filter. Make the water a bit colder than their regular home.

Lower the water level and add a lot of icecubes, that simulates the rainy season in their natural habitat. If they're ready and conditioned enough with a variety of foods they'll spawn. :)

Good info from the others.

Feed good food like blackworms and brine shrimp to prep the fish and do a 30% - 50% PWC and refill the tank with water that's 5-7 degrees F cooler than the tank temp to induce spawning.

I accidentally bred panda cories doing this.

I'm terrified of accidentally breeding my peppered cories, my one adult female is mighty plump so I'm really careful with water changes. I'm not ready for babies yet haha.

Lower the water level and add a lot of icecubes, that simulates the rainy season in their natural habitat. If they're ready and conditioned enough with a variety of foods they'll spawn. :)

I wouldn't recommend adding ice to your tanks.... even if you pre-treat the water before freezing them. Simply lowering the water temp added to the tank by a few degrees will help trigger spawning. Also, adding flow such as a powerhead will help. Time it right with a storm front and they WILL spawn if they're mature. That said... most LFS cories are juvenile and need to grow for 6-12 months before they are sexually mature.

Brilliant :) thanks for all the advice :D I'm not even sure whether mine are male or female :/ how do you tell? I've only got two, but will be getting more soon. I'd like to breed them, but I've got other fish in the tank, and have a fine gravel base instead of sand :(

Back
Top Bottom