Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-10-2016, 01:51 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Breeding Crappie

Just wondering if anyone's attempted breeding crappie in aquriums and what their results were, I can barley find any information on it but what I do know is

- Compressed Winter using light timer on 18 hours, and temperature control
- Diet of protien heavy live foods
- Tempature around 77

That's as much as I know, I have 2, 75 gallon tanks, 1, 55 gallon and 1, 45 gallon, tanks I can dedicate to this I have growlights on the 55 so it accumulates algae and thinking of putting daphina in a 20 gallon so if the crappie do breed I can transfer the fry into the 55 and introduce the daphina a couple previous so they have plenty of food.

I currently have 4 crappie all above 6 inches but I've got no idea on how tell their gender so I hope their not all male or female.
Any input would be great thanks guys

Old 10-12-2016, 02:08 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Not personally bred these. But...

Pretty sure you would need much larger stock tanks with a couple hundred gallons for the adults. Presuming those are 4' tanks that doesn't seem like much room to live. Maybe for breeding. These things can get 3-5 pounds each though.

Do you know if you have White or Black Crappie? If you do want to breed them, make sure you have the same type.

Daphnia eat algae cells like in green water, which you can make and feed them. Worms would be a good food source. You could start some vermiculture /vermicomposting. White worms for babies.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now - 12G Edge nano fish
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 08:31 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnsky View Post
Not personally bred these. But...

Pretty sure you would need much larger stock tanks with a couple hundred gallons for the adults. Presuming those are 4' tanks that doesn't seem like much room to live. Maybe for breeding. These things can get 3-5 pounds each though.

Do you know if you have White or Black Crappie? If you do want to breed them, make sure you have the same type.

Daphnia eat algae cells like in green water, which you can make and feed them. Worms would be a good food source. You could start some vermiculture /vermicomposting. White worms for babies.
I think they have plenty of room, there only 4 and there 6ft tanks it's spacious with them in there, 75 gallon is pretty big for an aquarium.

And they are white crappie.

I'm thinking of actually raising guppies in the 55, I think I could raise 100's in a tank that size to feed the crappie. I'd just put the daphina in a 45 gallon tank instead.

Tags
app, breed, breeding

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com