Breeding Crystal Red Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MatthewsDyer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just wondering if I can make a profit breeding crystal shrimp and what I need to have to breed them. I talked to my local fish store and they said that a 5 gallon tank would work. That's what I have and there will only be shrimp in the tank. will I have any success in that size of a tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Last edited by a moderator:
How much fish experience do you have?

How much shrimp experience? Have you kept Crystal Red Shrimp before? How long?

What are your water parameters? Do you have all test kit stuff including KH/GH? What makes you want to breed these?

Short answer is yes an experienced shrimp keeper who has money to buy high quality food, substrate, buy excellent breeding stock and the time and complete commitment to keep the shrimp in excellent water conditions, with the correct water conditions could breed them and have good results, but imho, a better min. size tank would be a 10G.

I have quite a bit of experience with fish keeping and plants. I have never bred shrimp before but I have bred cichlids. I want to breed these for a profit of possible that's my motive.

CRS require very specific water parameters. You should do a bunch of studying and research. Most people start with Cherry shrimp to just get a feel for keeping shrimp. They need very clean water. A mature tank for the best success, a good amount of biofilm.

What are your normal parameters. Many people who have hard water 8. or so might prefer to raise Cardinal shrimp, but with practice if you plan to keep soft water shrimp around 6. pH or less you can use RO/DI water and remineralize, but this takes a concentrated effort for consistency, and many people don't have that patience. CRS are soft water shrimp.

If you get the combination right... you can make money, but it is usually when you have a number of tanks going with breeding and grow outs. Hobby trade in money for sure, but real money it is going to be a lot of work and space.

Research and read everything, especially all the mistakes there are many threads for this.

Ok, I really appreciate all the help. I have a 55 gallon that has been cycled for over a year now and was going to take water from that tank and put it in the 5 gallon. So all water parameters would be very good. I will also add some Java moss and some wood. If I do breed CRS How many should I purchase from the beginning and what have you had luck with doing?
Thanks again for the help it is greatly appreciated.

It would be a filter pad which is where the BB is and where the best situation would be for the tank. You can't rinse the filter media in tap water without it being treated - like with Prime. The tank would need items which have been in a tank already and the glass and rocks would be better with the age of time a couple months. This is where little shrimp eat bio film from the items in the tank.

What are the parameters?
Kh
Gh
TDS
pH

If you are keeping Cichlids your water will not be the right levels for CRS.

A couple dozen shrimp.

It sounds like you need to do more research to make the best home for the shrimp. And do some testing. I would hate to see you buy some shrimp just to have them die over a few weeks or instantly if not acclimated properly and kept in the right parameters.

I will put rocks, wood, gravel, water, and moss from my 55 gallon. There are a couple lribs in that tank with Tatars and other South American fish so the ph is about 6.8 and I will have to get back to you about the others.

Back
Top Bottom