Breeding Crystal Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlueRaptor76

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 2 10 gallon tanks currently. They both have a good sized colony of dwarf freshwater shrimp but I was hoping to get some crystal shrimp. I’ve been considering moving all of my dwarf shrimp into one for a separate tank of crystals but I have this system or a tank for specifically breeding certain shrimp together while the other one is for shrimp I’m planning on selling. Could crystals live with the shrimp I have now? And how difficult are they to breed? Currently my dwarf shrimp are making beautiful babies all the time but I’ve never worked with crystals before.
I’ve also heard of moss and other things that improve water quality for shrimp. Does any of that really work?

Assuming you have a variety of neocaridina sp. shrimp (cherry shrimp, blue velvet, <insert fancy marketing color>) currently?

They could probably live together successfully, but Crystal Shrimp prefer cooler waters for optimum breeding (low-mid 70s, I believe?).

Java moss is fantastic for shrimp tanks, it'll help soak up any excess nutrients in your water column (like any other live plant), but the way it grows provides lots of extra surface area for biofilm and hiding areas for shrimp. I've got a mat about the size of my head in my 40g tank and it's absolutely lousy with shrimplets, juveniles, and adults. I'll see adults and the occasional adventurous juvenile male elsewhere in the tank, but they really seem to prefer the moss! It is typically pretty carefree to grow, I'm generally taking cuttings into my LFS every month or two for about 15-30$ of store credit depending on the harvest:brows:

I’ll look into that moss but if crystals like cooler waters I think I’ll try getting another tank for them. I have been researching into getting a few small 5 gals and putting them on a rank to sort out my shrimp for more specific breeding.

What kind of shrimp do you currently have?
Caridina shrimp (including crystals) ideally require different conditions than Neocaridina shrimp (cherries, rili, etc). I dont know the exact parameters but low pH, GH, KH, and possibly low TDS. Plus the use of an active soil (lowers pH and KH). Most Caridina shrimp keepers use RO water remineralized with something like Salty Shrimp or similar product to bring the water to ideal specs.
On the other hand, neocaridina shrimp can often do well in treated tap water. Inert substrate for these.

Currently I have Neocaridinas in my tank. As with water quality if crystal shrimp do require different water levels could anyone tell me great products for them? I know certain gravel or something was meantioned.

I pulled the following from a site called The Shrimp Farm. Another site called PlanetInverts has a lot of useful info as well.

Red Cherry Shrimp Specs:
pH: 6.2-8.0
Temperature: 65-85 °F (18-29.5 °C)
gH: 4-8
kH: 3-15
TDS (Total Dissolved Solids): 150-250

Crystal Shrimp Requirements:
pH:*5.8-7.4
Temperature:*62-76 °F
GH:*4-6
KH:*0-4
Total Dissolved Solids:*100-200

SL-Aqua has a popular line of shrimp products. ADA AquaSoil is often used in Caridina shrimp tanks. Not recommended when using tap water though as this will prematurely exhaust its buffering capabilities.
Here is a step-by-step procedure of cycling using SL-Aqua products: IMG_7086.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_7086.jpg
    IMG_7086.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom