breeding dalmation mollies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chuckles

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hello, i have a 30 gallon freshwater tank. i have 2 dalmation mollies, one female and one male. the female has become pregnant. i went out to bought a breeding trap tank to put in the aquarium. i let the female swim into the breeding trap on her own as to minimize the stress on her. after about 1/2 hour later i come back to check on her and i find her laying on her side in the breeding trap. come to my surprise she was dead. what happened or what did i do wrong to cause this. a very disappointing day:confused:

breeding traps are very stressful for fish... i tried it once and killed two fish, never used one since... best way to isolate them is a 10g tank... once she drops, you just put her back in the big tank and let the fry grow up...

8O im so sorry,

firstly, a net is rubbish, bad filtration and circukation, for prego fish its like doubling the stress of labour. secondly, you should really have 1 male to 3 females.

if i was you i would try breeding again, i lost 28 fry in 5 days 3 weeks ago, but i carried on and now i have 25 healthy molly fry at 11days old and 1cm long and bigger.

good luck:rocol:

Wat i would do is only buy 2-3 females the fattest ones at the pet store, get a lot of floating plants and give it time as soon as you c babies catch the babies and put them in another tank for 2-4 weeks (depending on how fast they grow) then put them wherever you want i do this this way bcuz i try to breed them and get as many as possible, since the females can have babies several times without a male present you will have plenty of babies without a male, so far mine have been going on without a male for 4 months now. and by the time they "run out of eggs" the first batch will have its own males and females ready to breed, its weird but my silver lyretail had babies n august when i got her and now 4 months later her 'son' is chasing her

o yea and NO TRAP i only us the trap when i catch the babies and put THEM in there only for a day max unitl i move them into new tank

Back
Top Bottom