Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-01-2009, 12:10 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

breeding dalmation mollies

hello, i have a 30 gallon freshwater tank. i have 2 dalmation mollies, one female and one male. the female has become pregnant. i went out to bought a breeding trap tank to put in the aquarium. i let the female swim into the breeding trap on her own as to minimize the stress on her. after about 1/2 hour later i come back to check on her and i find her laying on her side in the breeding trap. come to my surprise she was dead. what happened or what did i do wrong to cause this. a very disappointing day

Old 11-01-2009, 01:23 AM   #2
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

breeding traps are very stressful for fish... i tried it once and killed two fish, never used one since... best way to isolate them is a 10g tank... once she drops, you just put her back in the big tank and let the fry grow up...

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 03:28 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

8O im so sorry,

firstly, a net is rubbish, bad filtration and circukation, for prego fish its like doubling the stress of labour. secondly, you should really have 1 male to 3 females.

if i was you i would try breeding again, i lost 28 fry in 5 days 3 weeks ago, but i carried on and now i have 25 healthy molly fry at 11days old and 1cm long and bigger.

good luck
Old 12-28-2009, 01:30 PM   #4

Wat i would do is only buy 2-3 females the fattest ones at the pet store, get a lot of floating plants and give it time as soon as you c babies catch the babies and put them in another tank for 2-4 weeks (depending on how fast they grow) then put them wherever you want i do this this way bcuz i try to breed them and get as many as possible, since the females can have babies several times without a male present you will have plenty of babies without a male, so far mine have been going on without a male for 4 months now. and by the time they "run out of eggs" the first batch will have its own males and females ready to breed, its weird but my silver lyretail had babies n august when i got her and now 4 months later her 'son' is chasing her
Old 12-28-2009, 01:32 PM   #5

o yea and NO TRAP i only us the trap when i catch the babies and put THEM in there only for a day max unitl i move them into new tank

Tags
breed, breeding, mollies

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com