Breeding Danios

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaPony87

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey everyone,

Do you think Feeder Goldfish that are about 2.5 inches long would eat Zebra Danio eggs? We're breeding them ni my bio class and was wondering if I should take them out or not and as for the Danios has anyone tried putting some sort of a grate on the bottom of the tank to let the eggs fall through instead of marbles or larger gravel?

Um..yes..and yes.
Goldies are opportunistic especially the faster carp body types like feeder and comets ..just yesterday I watched a feeder fish actually slowly eat away the side of a fancy the idiots had it in with as I tried to get the clerks attention it went from missing scales to a 15 mm hole.
And with goldies the general is..if it fits in their mouth they may eat it.
Eventually your feed-er will be the feed-ee.

And the eggs below a plate thing would cut off circulation of water and make the likely hood of rotting with fungus even higher.

Just have em nix the feeders and find them a new home. Unless your class happens to have a killer tank (30 and over), they will start messing the water prams as they grow anyway. A feeder is going to grow an inch a month anyway if he is healthy. If he isn't healthy he will at some point come down with a mysterious something and die. Hopefully not a spontaneous ich outbreak that wipes the tank..

This is a classic experiment--google it and see what you come up with. I believe when my fiance taught an ichthyology lab, they used a grate/egg crate thing because it was easier than marbles.

Yea I fergot bout how messy goldfish are....now wat the heck am I gunna do wit these guys...

Can the goldfish be a reason for why the water is still so green? Ive been doing water changes every week....the water is still wicked green

Back
Top Bottom