Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-11-2014, 01:11 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Breeding danios

I currently have
1 long-funned leopard danio(male)
5 zebra danios
5 long-finned golden zebras
4 giant danios
All in a 45 gallon. I am a nrw breeder and decided to start with danios because I've heard they are pretty easy. I have a twenty gallon conditioning tank and a ten gallon tank a breeder container with slots for the eggs to fall through an air stone and the heater. I know that you need slightly acidic to neutral water and the temperature should be warm. I've heard that breeder boxes don't always work is that true? Also im not sure if I have to be breed the same type of danios or if all but my giants will breed with each other? Any tips would be greatly appreciated!(: thanks for reading

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 05-11-2014, 05:33 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Anyone? I also need some advice on how to set up a breeding program. How often should my danios breed? Should I breed different danios every time? Can I use some I bred the last time with some new danios?

Old 05-12-2014, 02:17 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

http://m.wikihow.com/Breed-Danios

Consider moving Giant Danios to a longer tank. 3' at least. They may also munch your smaller fish. They get 4"

You should up your groups of smaller Danios. 6+. Are you able to sex by eye yet ?

For your tanks, you can mix Distilled or RO water with tap to lower the PH. Stop using chemicals. Bouncing your parameters around is not good.

You can experiment with mixing distilled and tapwater to get the pH you want. Stable pH is more important than exact PH.

What will you do with the fry ? You should always have a plan before you breed fish.

You can add some of the offspring with the parents but you will need to add new bloodlines periodically.
Too much inbreeding causes deformities and susceptibility to illness.

Conditioning your fish before breeding, is important, good diet is important. Also you might add some live plants to help keep the water stable and give the fish more places to play.
Easy live plants are Java Ferns, you can tie them to rocks or wood , and they will grow in almost any light.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Coursair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 02:18 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Breeding danios

Breeder boxes will not work with egg laying fish, set up an egg laying tank like the direction say.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Coursair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 04:09 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I plan on selling them either privately and I have already contacted a few lfs that are willing to buy from me. I can usually sex by eye but I do have a few I'm not absoultley positive on yet. I don't have a 3' tank and im not sure if the budget will allow for one... will my giants suffer from not having a 3' tank I want to make sure all my fish are happy and healthy and if it's a problem I will look into rehoming them but would rather not... I haven't had any problems with them with munching I always make sure the are fed on a schedule with plenty of food to hopefully prevent that issue also my smallest danios have many hidding spots where the gianta cant fit into.

Tags
breed, breeding, danio, danios

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com