Breeding different varieties?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WynterRose

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am currently planning my first aquarium. :dance:
I selected 3 varieties of tetras and 2 varieties of mollies. I haven't decided on the gender I will get, and there's one thing stopping me. I would like to know if the different varieties can breed between each other. This problem came when I noticed that the orange von rio flame tetra has a different scientific name than some other tetras. In high school biology we were taught that the 2nd word in the scientific name will show whether or not the 2 organisms can breed because that word will be the same. I can't always trust what teachers say however because I have been taught a bunch of completely false things :banghead: So, I would like to know if these varieties will willingly breed with each other.

Tetras:
Red Belly X-Ray Tetra
Glowlight Tetra
Orange Von Rio Flame Tetra

Mollies:
Silver Molly
Cremecicle Lyretail Molly

The tetras won't interbreed, the mollies will.

I am going to get at least a 30 gallon (I'm still researching so I can provide the fish with a good home) then if they

Aww, that's too bad. I would've loved to have cool mixed tetras.

Thank you both for your help. :D I'll get at least a pair of each tetra then.

Tetras need to be kept in schools, not pairs

Agreed. You will see much more interesting behaviors and have an overall "happier" tank if you go for a single larger school rather than a hodge podge.

With the number of fish total, especially with mollys you're going to be close to over stocking. Any of the fish that breed will likely result in eaten eggs or fry. Tetras of all sorts are egg eaters. They eat theirs and anyother they can find. The tetras and mollys will likely pick off the molly fry. You may want to plan a spare 10 gal for rearing just a few molly fry, or set up and spawn your tetras. The tetras are harder but more rewording. Very interesting breeding behavior. It will give you an entire new appreciation for the fish you see in the shops and their journey there.

Yeah my glowlight tetras recently spawned and the eggs were consumed very quickly. Mollies on the other hand will breed like crazy and with sufficient hiding places several will survive from each batch.

Back
Top Bottom