Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-04-2012, 03:28 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Breeding discus

I've been keeping 2 discus for about a year now (only two because of frustration from buying too small and poor purchases) but now I ant to expand my discus stock and eventually start to breed them.

I have been into a reef for a while now and feel like I am more well prepared now then I was b4. Any tips?

I'm picking up a less common strain tomorrow but can only introduce 1 at a time due to budget and I want to select each carefully by color and strain.

I believe where I work we receive discus Hans discus unless I've herd wrong.

Do the general growth requirements apply when raising to breed? Or is there a way to accelerate growth? No intention to rush the the mating process just the size of the hopeful pairs.

Old 12-04-2012, 03:58 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hi the discus will become sexually mature at the age of 2 years old . i have just bought 6 juvinile discus which are around 6-7 months old so i have a way to go yet but hopefully i will get a pair out of mine . i have done tons of research on discus and how to breed them ect. youll need soft water around 6.0 ph and very clean water but the ph must remain stable as they dont like the ph to fluxuate. yeah also use a barebottomed tank aswell is best as it can be kept cleaner. but yeah its not an easy process as the fry are pretty hard to take care of.

hope i helped you out a bit anyways

Old 12-05-2012, 12:04 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yeah I have two, I believe male and female that are 1.5yrs now b/c I've had them for just over a year and am adding the rarer one now, well harder to get then blue diamond, colbalt, red turquoise, and pigeon blood around me.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:05 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It was labeled as "new horizon"
Old 12-06-2012, 04:31 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

oh ok lol i dont kno w i never seen a new horizon , but im going to pick up my new discus tomo 2 white dragons which will be kool ..

Tags
breed, breeding, discus

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com