Breeding Dwarf Gourami?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dwarfgourami

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm very new to breeding fish. I've only ever bred guppies before, but that was when I was 8 years old, and it was an accident.

One of my male dwarf gouramis keeps trying to make bubble nests, but I have a current in the tank he is in so they keep popping. He is trying so hard though, so I am looking at setting up somewhere he actually can breed. I've done quite a bit of research, though I can't find anything that tells me how to get the females to want to breed. None of my females are carrying eggs, and I don't know how to encourage them to do so. Could anyone give me advice?

Also, the male dwarf making the bubble nests is a red honey, and I only have one red honey female. I read that it isn't a good idea just to have one female in with the male, so would I be able to put my female cobalt blue in the breeding tank with him too? They seem to get along fine in the big tank they're in at the moment, but I want to be 100% sure it's okay before I do anything.

The actual breeding part I can't offer any advice on. But if you are successful the real issue is the very tiny fry. They need special SUPER tiny food. Like infusoria. Maybe Vinegar eels and then baby brine shrimp. Anyway there might be other options too. I haven't raised them. Being prepared for the babies is top priority.

Back
Top Bottom