Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 10-14-2007, 05:11 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 458
Send a message via AIM to papa_bear_21
breeding dwarf gourami

We recently purchased a male/female pair of dwarf gourami, in hopes that they might breed. To those who have bred these beautiful fish, what advice, tips, or help would you be able to give?

I am looking for advice on how, such as tank conditions, should they be kept in a tank by themselves, are they egg layers or live bearers? If a seperate tank is desired, how big of a tank would I need? any and all help is greatly appreciated

Thank you in advance,

Bear
__________________

__________________
papa_bear_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 07:32 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 77
Re: breeding dwarf gourami

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa_bear_21
We recently purchased a male/female pair of dwarf gourami, in hopes that they might breed. To those who have bred these beautiful fish, what advice, tips, or help would you be able to give?

I am looking for advice on how, such as tank conditions, should they be kept in a tank by themselves, are they egg layers or live bearers? If a seperate tank is desired, how big of a tank would I need? any and all help is greatly appreciated

Thank you in advance,

Bear
I have a trio (2f 1m) of dwarf gouramis and they just spawned last night for the first time. Unfortunately, the bubble nest drifted apart today and the rainbows have been egg-snatching all afternoon. We'll see if any made it but I'm not hopeful.

So, in my (extremely limited) experience, the male builds a bubble-nest with small bits of plants and bubbles. He chases away the female until everything is just so. Then she nudges him and they go under the nest and fold around each other. He makes sure the eggs get into the nest and chases her away. I have no idea on the raising of gourami fry. I read that they'll hatch in 24-36 hours.

http://www.gourami-breeding.co.uk/breeding.htm

My tank is a 55 gallon community, with 3 dwarf gouramis, 6 albino cherry barbs, 6 cory cats, 1 clown pleco and 9 dwarf neon rainbows. It's about 2 months old and recently planted. I saw no spawning activity until after it was planted. pH is 7.8.

Good luck, I was fascinated yesterday as Gary built his nest.

~g
__________________

__________________
norcalg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 08:57 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 458
Send a message via AIM to papa_bear_21
Your experience is greater than mine, and I appreciate you sharing it with me. Your gourami's stayed in the community tank? It sounds as if you have a similiar community to ours, except that we have loaches. My main concern would be the loaches eating the eggs, we have a total of 8 loaches, 3 dojo, 2 golden dojo, and 3 khuli. Living with them are the 2 gourami, 2 swordtail, 2 red serpae tetra, 2 black skirt, 2 bleeding heart, 2 glass cat's 2 plecos, 3 rasbora's, 1 lyre tail mollie, 1 baby guppy, 1 platy, 1 small snail and 1 baby sailfin mollie, would any of these pose a threat to the fry/eggs? thank you all in advance,

Bear
__________________
papa_bear_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 10:40 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by papa_bear_21
Your experience is greater than mine, and I appreciate you sharing it with me. Your gourami's stayed in the community tank? It sounds as if you have a similiar community to ours, except that we have loaches. My main concern would be the loaches eating the eggs, we have a total of 8 loaches, 3 dojo, 2 golden dojo, and 3 khuli. Living with them are the 2 gourami, 2 swordtail, 2 red serpae tetra, 2 black skirt, 2 bleeding heart, 2 glass cat's 2 plecos, 3 rasbora's, 1 lyre tail mollie, 1 baby guppy, 1 platy, 1 small snail and 1 baby sailfin mollie, would any of these pose a threat to the fry/eggs? thank you all in advance,

Bear
The gourami eggs are at the surface of the water so I'm not sure how much of a threat the loaches would be. My gourami used the surface tension as well as his bubbles and the foliage to build his nest. I don't know if any of his eggs will make it to hatch. If you want to be able to raise the fry, I would guess that you'd need a separate tank for them. I have another platy tank and can say with absolute certainty that platies will eat fry. 8O And will in fact try to eat fry through one of those mesh baskets you can hang in the tank.

I don't think the plecos would be a threat but I imagine the tetras and rasboras would be, I don't know about the mollies. I was caught by surprise when Gary started his ritual. I didn't have anywhere else to put him so he stayed. I considered getting a tank divider yesterday when I realized he was serious about this but it didn't happen. I will probably pick one up for the future.

Good luck!

~g
__________________
norcalg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 02:11 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: black hills, south dakota
Posts: 2,373
Send a message via AIM to black hills tj Send a message via MSN to black hills tj Send a message via Yahoo to black hills tj
Re: breeding dwarf gourami

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalg
My tank is a 55 gallon community, with 3 dwarf gouramis, 6 albino cherry barbs, 6 cory cats, 1 clown pleco and 9 dwarf neon rainbows. It's about 2 months old and recently planted. I saw no spawning activity until after it was planted. pH is 7.8.

Good luck, I was fascinated yesterday as Gary built his nest.

~g
Extremely, off topic but do you have any pics of your albino cherry barbs? I've never seen albino cherries.
__________________
<.^.>Mike<.^.>

http://www.bhtj.net
black hills tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 02:12 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: black hills, south dakota
Posts: 2,373
Send a message via AIM to black hills tj Send a message via MSN to black hills tj Send a message via Yahoo to black hills tj
Re: breeding dwarf gourami

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalg
My tank is a 55 gallon community, with 3 dwarf gouramis, 6 albino cherry barbs, 6 cory cats, 1 clown pleco and 9 dwarf neon rainbows. It's about 2 months old and recently planted. I saw no spawning activity until after it was planted. pH is 7.8.

Good luck, I was fascinated yesterday as Gary built his nest.

~g
Extremely, off topic but do you have any pics of your albino cherry barbs? I've never seen albino cherries.
__________________
<.^.>Mike<.^.>

http://www.bhtj.net
black hills tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 08:54 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 77
I forgot to mention the blood worms. Frozen blood worms really kick Gary into high gear as far as building his nest is concerned.

black hills tj, I will try and get some albino cherry barb photos posted.

~g
__________________

__________________
norcalg is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
breed, breeding, dwarf, dwarf gourami, gourami

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
pearl gourami vs dwarf gourami for 20 gallon ??? Bubble_B0y Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 12 10-09-2005 02:09 AM
Gourami breeding and a few questions princesslola Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 1 08-15-2005 06:10 PM
Gourami breeding lmw80 Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding 3 07-10-2005 02:23 PM
gourami breeding kristen Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding 4 05-17-2004 03:26 AM
Honey Gourami vs Dwarf Gourami Allivymar Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 17 09-23-2003 08:47 AM







» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×