Breeding Dwarf Gouramis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nippyfish

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm thinking about breeding dwarf gouramis. My expertise is with bettas, but I don't want to start with breeding an aggressive fish. [all those jars take up a lot of room].

I thought gouramis may be a good place to start so I will be reading up on the subject over the next couple of weeks.

My first question/concern is this:

1. I don't want to end up with more fish then I can handle. I know I'm being ambitious here, but lets just say I am able to breed fish. How many dwarf gouramis are we talking about here after... say 10 - 12 weeks?

2. When the time comes to select fish to buy and breed what should I look for? I know with bettas there is no guarantee the fish will take to each other. Should I start with one pair and see how it goes or buy several at one time?

I'll have more questions later. These were the first to come to mind.

thanx

Hi Nippyfish and welcome to AA. :D Have you bred anabantids before or will this be your first go at it?

BrianNY said:
Have you bred anabantids before or will this be your first go at it?

This is my first go. I have read a lot and am familiar with the process but haven't done it myself. I am in my "research" phase right now. No fish are bought yet nor are the tanks even set up.

Basically, I have located a place in the house to set up for breeding and have decided on Dwarf Gouramis to start and that's about it. I am interested in species protection of wild bettas and want to learn about breeding but am not experienced with them so I thought I would have a go at D.Gs. to start.

Well you can do what Toirtis suggests or............ IME the males will build a bubble nest without the females present. When this is done I would add the plumpest female (kept in a seperate tank)in with the male. Watch carefully to make sure she is willing. If she isn't I try another. I would remove the female when spawning is done. The males make good dads.

Broods will be small and you need plenty of space to raise them. Good luck and keep us posted. :D

BrianNY said:
Well you can do what Toirtis suggests or............ IME the males will build a bubble nest without the females present. When this is done I would add the plumpest female (kept in a seperate tank)in with the male. Watch carefully to make sure she is willing. If she isn't I try another. I would remove the female when spawning is done. The males make good dads.

Broods will be small and you need plenty of space to raise them. Good luck and keep us posted. :D

I've done this too, but be sure to have extra females, in case the first isn't compatible.

Back
Top Bottom