breeding dwarf puffers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

krap101

Aquarium Advice Addict
heres a site i found that i thought was pretty good but i dont really know if its entirely correct

http://www.rr.iij4u.or.jp/~kohda/en/en-dwarfpuffer.htm

thats the site... if you have any objections oppinions other stuff that site doesnt menchon menchin mentchin watever im thinking about breeding them in a 5 gallon (1 male 2 female) and my growup tank with either be 5 or 10 gallon... i cant find any of the dwarvies on that site today petsmart didnt have any dwarf puffers and their coming in on thursday so im gonna check it out (hopefully) and i hope their the right kinds of dwarvies with the brown line in the stomach for the males and if they have those theyll prolly have females so wish me luck

STOP WORRYING ABOUT BREEDING.

Learn to keep a Gourami alive for more than a month. Puffers don't mix well with most other fish. GO TO THE LIBRARY. No more excuses. Have your parents drive to the library instead of the pet store for the tenth time this year. I've been incredibly patient, but your stubborness, via your refusal to do real research and consulting of published material, like BOOKS, has tested my limits.

i went to the library yesterday and they had nothing on dwarf puffers i checked out like 5 books and has nothing on dwarf puffers i wasnt going to put the puffers with other fish

I studied that site quite a bit when I first got my puffers, and it was encouraging, but it is not easy. I kept 4 of them in a 12gal for a year and never determined gender - no stripes to be found at any time! I think if you want to keep them that is a great site to get general husbandry info, but worry about breeding if you see spawning behavior. Here is a great puffer forum where more info can be obtained: http://puffer.proboards2.com/

You REALLY need to drop the breeding thing untill you've had more experience. Start with say, keeping a fish alive for more than a month. If you cant keep a dwarf gourami alive, then there is almost no chance you can keep fry alive. And if you cant make the water conditions good enough to keep the fish ALIVE, then I highly doubt you can get them to breeding conditions. Start a few community tanks, then when you feel your ready you can try breeding. And your tanks are way too small for any sort of breeding. A 10gal is MINIMUM for keeping d-puffers, let alone breeding them. And a breeding pair has to develop out of a group.

the guy from the site up there bred them in a 5 gallon

or is that just by chance...

my sis said her manager had a 30 gallon shes not using so she said i might be able to buy it from her

I think the point that other members are trying to make is that breeding fish really requires experience and knowledge. Perhaps this point is being made a bit harshly though. My point is that "the guy from the site up there" probably has years of experience breeding fish with emphasis on puffers. Puffers are not the easiest fish to keep. No one wants to dampen your enthusiasm for this hobby, but we would like to see you take it at a pace that will increase your chances for success. One of the few things that we say about reef tanks that will always remain true is that "nothing good happens fast"...this holds true for FW tanks as well. Be patient...learn as much as you can about the fish you eventually want to breed...gain experience by keeping your tank/tanks and fish in pristine condition...then, once you've been successful at that, try the breeding. At that point, we'll be glad to help you in any way we can.

Unless you are already breeding huge quantities of snails then I would even think about keeping the puffers as pets. They aren't the easiest fish to keep.

And most breeding is done is well establish aquariums and generally species only aquariums.

I mean what do you want to do with all of the babies anyways. Most pet sotes won't give you any money for them as they already have contracts with established breeders. And most people only buy from private breeders with credentials.

Man I have to agree with everyone else, you really dont need to think about breeding puffers or any other fish until you can keep them alive, not just keep buying them and putting them in a tank. If you are just starting up tanks, with no exp at all in fishkeep, which that is how it seems to me from all your posts on here, you really should just set up a tank and learn about fish, how to keep them, care for them, keep them alive and make them happy. And yes you can make fish happy. Dont think about breeding a fish, puffer or otherwise until you can raise a fish and keep it alive. In a few years or so if you really want to breed fish, then fine, by then you will have exp keeping fish, and will pretty much have a good base to build on to breed them. But man, every post you have is about breeding this fish or breeding that fish, pick a fish or two and focus on them.

Back
Top Bottom