breeding feeder fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishhooked

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm coming across the problem of needing more and more feeders. How easy is it to breed them?

Depends on what feeders. Im planning on doing it with convicts. Just feed them some high quality food before they get fed to bigger fish.

Most feeders are live bearers. Guppies, platies, mollies, swordtails, etc.

But in all honesty most fish don't need live feeders, just quality flake/pellet staple with some frozen food a couple times a month.

Idk I guess I never really thought there was a diff. I go to my lps and pick up 25 rossies(my fish are still young) and there gone when I get outa work that day. What diff kinds are there and what would be good for my situation? I also feed a mini shrimp cut up into little chunks. But last time my rtc eat all the pieces. I do both those once a week. Shrimp halfway in between. But i know there still hungry.

I have a pike chicld probably about 6-7in, an Oscar probably 3-4in,a black ghost knife fish. Probably about 4-5in. AND my red tail catfish who's now probably 5-6in. But his head has grown 4x the size in the 2m Iv had em.

So what do u think would be my best investment as breeding feeders? Thank u.

Convicts. You have a rtc and a gar so i say cons. They get bigish and chunky. Feed them nls or hikari before they get fed to others

So if i buy a bunch of convicts and feed them with good food, they'll breed? Do i need a higher temp as well.. Also I have those fish in a 180gal.

So if i buy a bunch of convicts and feed them with good food, they'll breed? Do i need a higher temp as well.. Also I have those fish in a 180gal.

You WILL need a bigger tank for those fish. Just get a 40breeder and some cons. Let them pair and keep two pairs. Seperate 40b and let them breed

And yes watching that pike chicld eat is crazy. He gobbles 5 or more in secs. Sometimes he loses 2 or 3 and has to go get more.

I know man. I know I don't have to much time:) but im bassically always looking/thinking bout my next upgrade.. I got the red tail with no warning. Got him for a 55. Got home and realized that wasn't gonna work. I just seen that lps selling one with no warning what so ever. I think they should.

I know man. I know I don't have to much time:) but im bassically always looking/thinking bout my next upgrade.. I got the red tail with no warning. Got him for a 55. Got home and realized that wasn't gonna work. I just seen that lps selling one with no warning what so ever. I think they should.

Ok just makin sure haha. Good luck with them!

I love em:) but it's proving to be a pain to feed them. I have carnivore pellets but none want anything to do with them.. I know that's probably my fault.

Back
Top Bottom