Breeding fish in community tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AGroucha

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all hope you all are well and your fishies are happy :)

I have a 128L (~35 gal) tank with a couple og BN plecos, a few fancy guppies and a small school of glowlight tetras. Got som fair amount of plant growth that will increase, good amount of bogwood and good soft slighty acidic water chemistry.
I'd like to add 1-2 pairs of a dwarf cichlid - thinking ram cichlid (Mikrogeophagus ramirezi) and i'd like to know if anyone has bad luck breeding them in comunity tank with plecos around, im thinking they might prevent them from spawning since the fully grown dwarfs will be way smaller than the plecos?

Do you guys think it could work, or will i need a breeding tank for them?

They might attack the tetras and guppies when they breed. In addition, plecos are territorial and may take over prime areas for the rams to breed.

Breeding fish in community tank....... is, depending on the fish in the tank and trying to breed, not conducive for success or having many of the fry survive. Cichlids can be territorial and kill off other tank mates. Tetras, Barbs, Danios, etc are egg eaters so unless steps are taken to ensure they can't get to the eggs, the fry count will be small. Baby livebearers are excellent feed for other fish. Gouramis need quiet water for their nests.
Do I need to continue? ;) lol
It has always been the best to breed fish in a separate tank to eliminate a lot of the potential problems.
Hope this helps

rams are not really good fish to try to breed in a community. If you do attempt, you need to design the tank and tankmates around the Rams, not get the Rams as an afterthought.

Back
Top Bottom