Breeding gourami confussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Plecolover18

Aquarium Advice Freak
Okay I'm a little confused on breeding gold gouramis. The male is smaller then the female but the female is aggressive to the male by ramming into him (shouldn't that be the opposite) I added then both at the same time into my 20 gallon breeder with fake floating plants, rocks to hide in and a styrophone cup piece floating on the surface. Also I think the male is starting to build a bubble nest. There are a couple rows of bubbles around the glass of the tanks, after the bubble nest is built will they spawn? Is this all normal or should I do something? Thanks!

Attachments

• image-3424551012.jpg
    image-3424551012.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 50
  • image-181989455.jpg
    image-181989455.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 46
  • image-3436300857.jpg
    image-3436300857.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 50
  • image-2158472428.jpg
    image-2158472428.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 45
You may need to use a different Male or female. The male should be larger than the female for breeding. This way, he will have better control the female when they embrace to spawn. If she's so big that she is going after the male, either he's too small or she's too big.
The following article is a pretty good description of the breeding process of these fish. How do you breed gold Gouramis

Hope this helps

Could i separate them till the male grows larger how long will it take till the male get to a larger size

Could i separate them till the male grows larger how long will it take till the male get to a larger size

Yes, you could separate them but just remember, your female will still be growing too so the male may never catch up. :blink: Another way would be to trade in your male for a larger male from your LFS or just get another male. ;)

(y)

Yes, you could separate them but just remember, your female will still be growing too so the male may never catch up. :blink: Another way would be to trade in your male for a larger male from your LFS or just get another male. ;)

(y)

Yeah the lfs is kinda far so I'm sticking with separating them, the male is probably a 1/2 as female is around 3 inches

Back
Top Bottom